Monday, May 7, 2012

First Grade Plays: The Rooster

First Grade plays are a rite of passage at our elementary school. Each class puts on about 3 plays, allowing each student the chance to play a part in at least one play.  Mr C was in the play " 3 Billy Goats Gruff" back in his day.  Bestemor made the most adorable goat costume for him.  Miss M was a narrator for the Goldilocks and Three Bears meaning she got a new fancy outfit.  Finally this spring, Miss A was a Rooster for the Brementown Band play and a narrator for the Princess and the Pea.  This meant that she not only got to wear a fancy dress, but we were challenged to create a Rooster Costume.

We love our first grade teacher.  It is our third time in her classroom, but I almost cried when Miss A came home and said the teacher was sure I could make a Rooster Costume. According to Miss A, I should have no problem because I'm so talented.

Yeah right.  Nana to the rescue.  I researched costumes online and finally found something that looked easy to wear and make.  At least for my mother. My contribution?  I glued the feathers on the outside of the costume.  They looked fabulous.

Miss A had all her lines memorized weeks before the performance and, while she knew her Narrator part too, she used the script just to make sure she was on track with the actors.  No stage fright here.  She had the time of her life. In fact, her rooster call might just win her an award. I don't think I've ever seen a cuter rooster. 

Gotta love first grade plays.

No comments: