Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Panning Gold and Memories: Breckenridge


Our final day in the mountains was spent in Breckenridge, the "little ski village that blew up unto a huge resort" or at least that's what I would call it today.  Back in the days of my childhood, it really was a small little ski resort. A town that I could walk to from our home and knew the main street and the slopes at Peak 8 and Peak 9 like the back of my hand.



First stop of the day was to the Country Boy Mine where we panned for Gold and got to feel just a little bit of the Gold Rush.  My husband might just have survived being a "rusher" as within minutes he'd found a gold nugget in his pan; Miss M and Miss A were not as lucky even when the took lessons on Fill-Spill-Splash-Tail from their father.  He had the touch.  Mr C found a few nuggets too, after some time with Dad, he resorted to getting right in the middle of the stream in hopes of avoiding the already "claimed" areas. 


Had we been a real gold mining family, I think that the girls and I would have been busy doing the laundry and cooking while the boys were busy striking gold.  At least that would have been my plan.  Miss A said she could have done the gold mine chute slide, but I'm not sure that would have been an option.


After a few hours of mining, we were ready to explore the town. I  hardly recognized anything. Sure there were a few places I remembered like Skinny Winter Gifts where I used to blow through my allowance and birthday money on knick knacks; the Whale's Tail Restaurant that we used to frequent, and of course the Shirt Off My Back where I bought my yearly screen printed t-shirt. It was fun to take a little bit of a trip down memory lane, but I enjoyed making new memories with my family even more.


When we finished lunch, shopping, and strolling the city; it was time to head up the mountain to see my favorite slopes.  Everyone was willing to take the Gondola from town thinking it was so much safer than the chairlift in Copper.  They loved the enclosed feel, the doors and the fact that you climbed so much more gradually. At the base of the mountain I was shocked to see a Giant Hotel Complex which had previously been a a small little chalet.  Progress?, 


It as fun to show off some of my old stomping ground, but I was anxious to get back to our quiet little condo in Keystone!




No comments: