Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I'll Never Be Dorthy Hamill But A Girl Can Dream

My dreams of being Dorthy Hamill have probably died, but according to my daughters I'm a pretty awesome skater. Not sure if that's because I could backwards skate, do a horrid figure 8, or just make it around the rink without holding the rail, but I rock.
.
In my youth (sounds like a song from Sound of Music), I used to go ice skating with my family on Sunday afternoons in the winter. My family was winter sports fans. We skied, ice skated and we even owned a toboggan big enough for 4 members to take down the hill. The rink we took the girls to on Sunday afternoon was the rink of my childhood. We were there for a Sons of Norway event, but appeared to be the only Norsk group in the place. No matter, we had a blast.
.
I could almost see my "child self" in the corner practicing turns and figure eights. I loved time on the rink, I'd sing the song "Tea for Two" in my mind, dream of Olympic glory, and try to figure out how to perfect the Hamill Camel. I even had Dorthy's Hairstyle for years. I cried for days over the whole Tai Babilonia incident and was brokenhearted to see the entire Nancy Kerrigan fiasco. I was "ready" to step in and fill their spots on the Olympic roster if needed.
.
Of course, in reality, I was just the normal recreational skater, my best jumps and leaps were done in my dreams. But lacing back up the skates on Sunday afternoon those dreams were awoken and I felt like I was floating across the ice. I didn't even fall!! Yeah for my tush.
.
Miss A had never been ice skating before. She loved it. The fact that she's been roller skating lately really gave her the confidence that she could master ice skating. By about the third time around the rink, she told me "I'm pretty good at figure skating, I could be great."
.
Guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. At least in the over active imagination!
.
Miss M had been skating a couple of times and took to the ice quickly too. She thinks maybe this is a sport we should do as a family. If only we could convince Mr. C that strapping sharp metal to your feet is not crazy.
.
P admitted that he hadn't been skating in decades, and while he was nervous at first, he quickly adjusted to the skates. I think with a little effort he could be my Randy Gardner and I'd promise not to get hurt right before our big moment on the ice.
.
All in all, I'm thinking that little by little I can turn my Texas spouse into a winter sports fanatic. Who knows maybe we'll be hitting the slopes next winter.
.
A girl can dream can't she.
.
( Just in case you are older than me and not aware of my ice skating heroes of yesteryear, goggle them it will worth your effort.)

No comments: