Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Borrowed Shoes Shine Bright

Who is that sharped dressed young man? Mr. C all ready for his High School Private School Interview in dress pants, a tie and a great pair of loafers. No one even knew he was wearing borrowed shoes. It's getting hard to keep this kid in clothes and shoes; he's outgrowing everything. Dress shoes are not something C wears enough to justify buying so we went in search of shoes to borrow.
.
Our kind neighbor just happened to have a pair of Johnson Murphy loafers in a size 10A, a size he no longer wears. He couldn't believe he hadn't throw or given them away and that they were just sitting in his closet. I think it was a God thing that they were just sitting in the closet waiting for Mr. C to need them for the interview.
.
The interview went great. The admission counselor was very impressed with C's resume and transcript. He said that C was exactly the type of young man they look for at the school. The only interview question he flubbed was the "one" that I had prepped him for; "What book are you currently reading?" Yep, the one I knew they would ask and told C to get started reading. He is just not a reader. Sometimes I wonder how he is my son!
.
The best part of the interview by far was when they gave C his test results. C rocked the entrance exam in fact he raised his score five points from the practice exam in December to the "real" exam in January. I have no idea how he does so well on standardized tests, they make me sweat just thinking about them. He even did well on the reading. Remember, this is the kid who doesn't like to read.
.
Mr C is fast becoming a young adult. When he's all dressed up like this, my heart aches just a little bit knowing that the years are really flying by. I love the man he is becoming, but just a part of me misses the little boy he used to be.
.
Really wasn't it just yesterday.

No comments: