Tuesday, February 22, 2011

GS Crafting: Over My Head and I'lll Admit It!



Sunday afternoon was Girl Scout crafting at our house. A few weeks ago, I'd taken the Girl Scouts fabric shopping for photo boards and it was now time to make the boards.

This is where I admit I'm craft hindered. I love the idea of a great craft, but the reality of carrying out the finished project leaves a little to be desired. The Girl Scout Photo board is a prime example. My plan was to make a sample photo board last week and have all the kinks worked out before the girls arrived.
.
Reality proved that I didn't leave the house for almost five days and that meant the sample board was made on Sunday afternoon; just hours before the big event. It also meant that the project was much more difficult than I had originally thought. The staples were hard to put into the plywood. The process of ironing the fabric, stapling the quilt backing and fabric to the board, and then to get enough ribbon cut and ready was hard.
.
The boards are adorable, but the plan to have the girls walk out with finished projects was soon abandoned when we needed to make a run to Michael's for more ribbon (4 rolls per girl) and we needed much more than 1.5 hours to finish.
.
Thankfully, these girls are saints, as is my husband for bailing me out of stapling and figuring out how to get these projects done. I've learned that I need to do a better job of planning crafts out step by step. I can't wing it. While the girls had a great time and it was fun to see how the fabric creations are coming together, its disappointing that we didn't finish.
.
The finished projects will be great. It's just going to take a little while to get there.

No comments: