Mikey loves his new blanket! His mother sent me this photo a few days ago and it made me smile. What an adorable boy.
After tons of advice from knitters, blogs, and my favorite knitting shop, I finally decided to Block the Blanket. I wasn't thrilled with how the sides rolled up and, while I knew my friend would love it rolled or straight, I wanted it to be perfect.
Here's how I blocked the blanket:
- Got the blanket wet, with a spray bottle of water. Not soaked, just damp
- Rolled wet blanket in a clean white towel to ring out excess water
- Laid out the blanket on another clean and dry white towel. Thankfully, the blanket was small and it all fit on one towel. I put this in a corner of our bedroom that was clean, freshly vacuumed and away from foot traffic.
- Measured the blanket before and figured out how much I wanted to stretch the blanket. My goal was to get it a little bigger without compromising the design.
- Stretched the blanket and remeasured
- Used quilting pins to secure the blanket to the towel.
- Let the blanket "block" until it was completely dry (two days)
What a joy it was to send this off to Mikey, a much loved baby!