Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Oh Mrs B...Make Me A Match. Find Me A Find. Catch Me a Catch

I remember when I was first married and I would hear Mrs. B and look around for my mother-in-law. I was so unfamiliar with both the title Mrs. and the the new last name that I couldn't imagine anyone was calling for me.

Flash forward almost eighteen years and I've hear Mrs. B thousands if not hundreds of thousands of times. I'm used to it. In fact, when dealing with young children I'm old fashioned enough that I actually prefer it to my first name. There are still a handful of adults in my current life that I've known since my own childhood and I still refer to them in this formal title.

Just ask my children's piano teacher. She'll always be Mrs. P to me. In fact, the handful of times I've called her by her given name I've almost choked up. It's just so foreign to me.


Being called Mrs. B by a nice young man I know lately has brought a smile to my face. I've gotten to know this gentleman through the admissions process at the high school Mr. C will attend in the fall. The school is rather formal so I'm not surprised by the use of the title in my conversations with Mr. E however lately it's become rather comical.

You see this kind young man is now dating one of my dearest friends. She is a young woman that I've known her entire life. I grew up with Miss K as my neighbor and I spent hours babysitting her and her siblings. Her mother was my earliest mentor and role model and now she and her sisters are some of the young women I admire the most for the women they have become.

If the song "Matchmaker, Matchmaker Make a Match" from Fiddler on the Roof is running through your head, you'd be 100% right. As I dealt with Mr. E over the past few months, I've been impressed with what a genuine gentleman he is and somewhere in my head I started thinking of my young single friend Miss K and how they would be perfect for each other. Funny thing is they went to elementary school together, but over the years they had lost touch and now they are dating. What a small world.

I've never set people up before in my life. Never. I have a feeling that all the advice that Miss K's mother told me growing up about dating, marriage and motherhood prompted me to look after her daughter and make this match. You see K's mom went home to Jesus almost 14 years ago and, while I could never be the type of woman or mother that Mrs. O was in my life, if I can do one small thing to bring joy to her youngest daughters' life I'm all for it.

I've told K that if they end up getting married, I expect that her beau will call me Jill at the Wedding!

No comments: