Thursday, December 31, 2009

We Now Have Mountains Here? and other Funny Things We've Seen and Heard this Week.

Winter Break has been filled with some hilarious moments...some a result of the "blizzard" and others because we've been trapped inside so much I've been able to hear my children talking constantly.

Miss A thinks the huge piles of snow in parking lots and at the end of our driveway are beginning to look the Mountains she saw this fall in Colorado. I've pointed out that while they look inviting and "cute" and will be here until Spring, they are far from fun! In fact, if the one at the end of the driveway gets any bigger, we could lose sight of the street for months.

We went to the Indoor Water Park this week. Why oh why do you ask? Because until last week, Miss A could not get her ear wet and we promised we'd go once she got the all clear from her doctor. So along with most of the city, our whole family went to swim, slide and spend one hour in line for lunch. Just kidding on the lunch line at A&W, it was more like 1:10 minutes wait.

The kids had a great time and we all left feeling water logged and chlorinated to the gills. The funniest part, however, (besides the people) was driving to the pool in a winter coat, swimsuit and flip flops. C commented it wasn't really all that different from our summer trips to the pool and lake considering we were wearing sweatshirts on the 4th of July.

Yesterday, the kids went up to the elementary school for some good sledding on giant hills and I sat in the car watching them giggle, laugh, and throw snowballs at each other and their friends. I'd brought along a book knowing it could be awhile. Miss A made it about 45 minutes and then asked to come into my warm car. She was mostly looking for snacks and hot cocoa which is not something in ready supply in a Honda Odyssey. However, she cracked me up when she said why don't you just take me home and then come back for the big kids, later. I said then we'd just have to come back, she told it would be OK to just leave her at home alone since she's old enough to watch herself.

Sadly, she is the most responsible one sometimes and would probably be OK. I said no way; I can't; I'd get in trouble with the law for leaving a 5 year old at home alone. Not to worry was her reply, I'll visit you in jail and bring you diet Pepsi.

Finally, the thing that cracked me up the most this week was our shopping trip on Monday to "buy" a few things with gift cards that would burning holes in our pockets since Christmas.

Miss A and Miss M had gift cards to their favorite Girlie Store and Mr. C had one to the Sporting Goods store. We decided to take care of C's purchase first as he's notoriously quicker and then the girls and then have Hot Cocoa at our favorite Coffee Shop. C covered his two favorite summer sports, fishing and golf, with his gift. The girls, as usual, took "forever" to decide on some new clothes and a new Webkinz for each of them.

M and A both wanted to go to Claire's too just to see what was "new" and C quickly shooed them away saying that they could open their own store with all the "lip stuff" they have at home. Miss A said, "That's OK. I now have Dr. Pepper lip balm too, I just got it." Somehow I think she missed the point.

Over Cafe Mochas (C) kids Hot Cocoa (A) and Carmel Hot Apple Cider (M), we discussed while it is fun to shop together, it is just as fun to be together sitting and visiting. M and A just looked at me like I'd lost my mind and C just shook his head and said, "Mom, they just don't get it do they."

I'm thinking Mr. C is going to have a rude awakening once he hits the College Years (aka the Dating Years) and sees that Girls love to "just shop."

No comments: