Thursday, December 10, 2009

Surviving the 3rd Snow Day In A Row


It's quiet in the house right now. The kids are out enjoying the snow; building forts in the deep piles of snow and making giant footprints all over the backyard. I used to love the look of snow, the vast white field of snow which almost looked like sparkling diamonds and crystals. I use to view snow as something that should be looked at, but please don't make tracks in my snow.

Then I had children.

Now, I realize that footprints, sled tracks, and snowmen mean that children live in my house. Those tiny treks through the snow are a sign that laughter, giggles, and lots of cups of hot chocolate exist in my home. Something that 13 years ago I could only pray for, cry for, and long for is now a reality in my home and in my heart. I am a mother.

Yesterday, when the school district called to say they were calling off school for a 3rd Day in a row and just weeks before Christmas, my heart sank at first. I had plans.

Now, when I look out over the footprints, snow forts and marks all over our fresh fallen snow, I think, this is why I wanted to be a mother. So, that on snow days we could stay in PJ's and watch Hallmark movies together, we could offer to help our neighbors with the big snow drift on their driveway, and I could use our dryer over and over again in a day with dirty clothes, wet gloves, hats and coats.

I'm realizing more and more that these days are precious. Moments to cherish. They are the kind of days we'll talk about years from now and I won't remember the wet laundry room floor. Instead, I'm remember the messy marshmallow faces and the cans of Redi Whip that flew out my house!

For that I am grateful.

However, I might cheer the fact that tomorrow is back to normal. Too much of a good thing isn't really a good thing is it?

No comments: