Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Homemade Caramels: WFMW Christmas Gift Idea

*** Edited: Instructions revised. It's only 1 cup of Karo Syrup. The cream you add in two different times: 1 cup with the sugar and syrup-bring to boil and then the 2nd cup once it's reached a boil you add slowly to the boiling mixture.

Christmas Gift Giving can be a little overwhelming when you add in all the School Teachers, Coaches, Sunday School and Pioneer/Confirmation Teachers when you have with three kids.

Not wanting to leave people out or burden our gift giving budget with $5 here and $5 there for everyone, I've starting giving out Homemade Caramels in cute little gift bags along with a handwritten note of thanks/appreciation. Depending on the relationship with the teacher, I will throw in a gift card to a local Coffee House for Hot Chocolate or participate in the group gift. I just like the idea of recognizing these individuals myself and the influence they have on my kids.

While the process of making the caramel's is a little demanding, the skill involved is pretty basic.

All you need is a big pot, a candy thermometer, and lots of waxed paper for wrapping. Oh and about 2 hours of time. I bring a book and kitchen stool right up to the stove and declare it "me time."

I must give credit to my sister in law for the recipe and idea...thanks! I've been giving these to my son's team of teachers in both 5th and 6th grade and a few cried at the end of the year when he moved to 7th grade team. He thought it was because they would miss him, but I knew that they were sad to lose the caramel's at Christmas!!

Homemade Caramels Recipe
2 cups Sugar
2 cups Warm Cream (I heat it up a little in microwave-not boiling)
1 cup Karo Syrup (light or dark depending on preference)
1/2 tsp Salt
1/3 cup Margarine
1 tsp Vanilla

you can add up to 1/2 cup of nuts (I don't)
waxed paper for wrapping ( no perfect way to cut into squares; I've heard you can buy pre-cut at Michael's Craft store, but we just cut away pieces to fit the caramels)
buttered 9 x 13 pan for spreading out the Caramels


In Large Pot combine 2 cups sugar, 1 cup of the cream, 1 cup syrup and salt in pan. cook on medium until boiling-stirring constantly.

Pour in the other 1 cup of cream slowly to boiling mixture- just enough at a time to keep the boil going

Cook 5 minutes longer then stir in margarine 1 tsp at a time stirring and letting it melt completely between additions

Turn heat to low and stir occasionally until the temp is 235 degrees for soft or 245 degrees for harder Caramel.

Remove from heat and add in vanilla

Pour into a buttered 9 by 13 pan- Let stand 10 minutes before they cool completely you should cut them into pieces- I use kitchen scissors or very sharp knife.

Cool to Room Temperature before placing in a waxed paper wraps. You can easily double the recipe if you desire and I've even been known to run two pots of double recipe at the same time.

**** edited: For Teacher Gifts I put together about 15 caramels wrapped individually and place in a Christmas Treat Bag and attached a card. This year I found cute little Red Buckets in the Target Dollar Aisle and plan to put them in there with some tissue.
With 6 team teachers in Junior High and then a 4th Grade Teacher and two Preschool teachers plus Sunday School etc...One Double Batch with make enough, but no extras so I usually make two double batches and have plenty for all.

Making Caramels for Christmas Gifts works for me and my family. For more WFMW posts about Christmas Gift Ideas be sure to check out We Are THAT Family

Merry Christmas and Happy Caramels!!

3 comments:

Lynn said...

This sounds like a wonderful Christmas gift idea for all the teachers in your life. I agree, it's so nice to recognize them individually, after all they do to teach and encourage our kids :) I'm glad to have found your blog.

Anonymous said...

Wow - sounds good - just when I was looking for ideas. Can you re-check the ingredients list versus the instructions - 2 cups of cream or 1? and same on the karo syrup? Do you just cut the wax paper up into individual little square? And then put them into something else to give to the teacher? Sorry - need very specific instructions - not so crafty over here : ) Love, Kath

Terri said...

I will have to try this! Can you use butter instead of margerine? I just found your blog through your comment on Mary Beth Whalen's blog. Blogging is so fun!!! Blessings!