Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Winter Driving Conditions Scare: Thanking God



M had four teeth pulled yesterday and two spacers put in her mouth so it was not a stellar day in her book.

Even the fact that she got to miss out on a day of school didn't make up for the fact she was fearful and in pain. She was a real trooper throughout, but I think she's glad it's finally over!

The roads yesterday weren't stellar either. We had some freezing rain, mixed with about 1/2 inch of fresh snow before school. C was disappointed that they didn't think to "call it off " and have yet another snow day. Driving to Preschool was a little dicey. M and A couldn't believe all the traffic and the slow moving cars going up the hills near our neighborhoods.

Being my father's daughter, I quickly decided that neighborhood streets were the best choice from the pharmacy to Preschool and if I could have made it all the way to the Dentist by neighborhood streets, I would have. However, slow and steady, we made it on time for our "Dental Dread" appointment.

M came thru the "surgery" well, and why she looked like a chipmunk with the gauze in between her lips and talked like one too, we were ready to get A from school and get back home.

About 1 mile from the Preschool, we had to drive down a street that is a four lane divided major thoroughfare. It is, however, surrounded by farmland and tends to get a little slick due to the wind whipping across the prairie grass. (Yes I do want to break into song about a OKLAHOMA, but that's not allowed in these parts, my husband despises OU. He's a UT man remember)

I was going about 25 miles an hour and the next car nearest me was quite a ways ahead. The car behind liked slow and steady too and keep her distance. We were traveling northbound in the curb lane.

Suddenly a car traveling Southbound and in the curb lane (going about 40 plus mph) lost control slid over the next lane, jumped the huge median in the middle and starting coming right at my mini van. Never before have I seen such look of terror in another's person face; the air bags deployed on that car, they came within 15/20 feet of my front end but...All Glory to God I was able to stop the car without hitting them and move over enough into the far lane to miss their rear end as they went up the embankment on my passenger side of the street.

I thanked Jesus right there that He'd spared M and my life. He did. Had I been going just a fraction of a kilometer faster at any time in my journey I would have been directly in the path of that Toyota 4 Runner. I know without a doubt I would have been killed, and most likely M, too. It was coming that fast, with so much gusto that we would not have been able to stop it's force.

Praying and Praising all the way to Preschool pickup, I told the Preschool teacher that I would gladly pay any late fee for being 15 minutes late for Miss A. While I had told them I would most likely be late and they were very willing to help out, I wasn't really grateful for the ability to be late until that exact moment that I didn't know if I'd be showing up at Preschool ever again.

Poor Miss M I think the look of terror on her face at the moment was worse than the Dentist could ever have been.

At dinner, we were thanking God for His protection and His provision that allowed us to see death, but not taste it. Never before have I felt so grateful for those "moments" when you can see clearly the hand of Jesus. Protecting us, keeping us calm and allowing us just one more "moment" this side of heaven.

Really I need nothing more this Christmas. I've just gotten the greatest gift.

No comments: