Tuesday, April 19, 2011

You and Your Girl Simulcast: What A Day!

I've always wanted to go to a Vicki Courtney event with my daughter. As an avid fan of her books and blog, I knew that I would benefit so much from hearing Vicki's insight into mothering girls and I knew I could use some of her advice. It's not easy to raise a girl today and to bring one up to know and love God in today's culture takes extra prayers and encouragement.
Let's just say that the You and Your Girl Simulcast was just what I needed!

I'm so thankful that my church caught my vision and signed up to be a host site. Not only did it allow me to be at a Vicki Courtney event five minutes from home, it meant that I could share this day with some great women in our community. Two of my dear friends even brought a book table to the event. They didn't even mind giving up their Saturday to man the book table, even though they are mothers of just boys!

Vicki's messages really spoke to me. My listening guide is filled to the brim with my notes on her message on "Growing a Godly Daughter in a World that is Ungodly" and I loved the visual of being the gardener of our daughter's heart. I have the quote "expose our child's heart to the Son" written in my calendar so I make sure I'm making that a priority instead of just driving her to dance, softball etc.

The reminder that "girls who are delighted in, feel more delightful" was like a gentle nudge to always have fun with Miss M and Miss A and to tell them what a joy they are to me. I need to make sure that I'm showing them with my words, actions and deeds how much I enjoy them. I had never heard of "backdoor moments" before and the concept that to the degrees kids can predict me, they will dismiss me really resonated with me. I need to be looking for ways to impart values in daily life, not looking for those perfect moments to "teach or preach," but to be open to the backdoor moments.

More than anything, I was convicted that this summer I want to live out Philippians 4:8-9 and making sure that the "daily bread" is part of our families daily diet! If we are filling up our minds with whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, and admirable, it will change how we live.

Vicki's final challenge to both mothers' and daughters was to fill our souls with things that build our faith and fast from those things that tear you away from Christ. She told us to create a list of "more of....less of.." challenges that we wanted to see in our lives. More of Christ, Less of Me etc.

My list is long. There are a lot of things that I need to get rid of in my life so that I have more of Christ in me. I'm still working through all these things, and listening to God's direction on what he wants me to do.

What a glorious, challenging and convicting message. What a great day.

No comments: