Thursday, July 26, 2012

I'm not a fan of the Paper Latern


We finished our celebration of the 4th of July at a party at a friend's house.  I love the role reversal when we attend parties with Miss A's little friends and my bigger kids do a great job of not only fitting in with the crowd, but being such good role models for the others.  They used to be the little kids.  Now, they are good sports and as a parent I couldn't be prouder.

It was at this party that I saw our son's love of fireworks has evolved.  That little boy who used to be afraid of the noise each July is now the master of lighting the punks, fountains, and other fireworks.  He's smart enough to move quickly out of the way once the baby is light, which makes his momma proud.  I seriously believe it was only a few weeks ago that we had to play the night time CD loud and get him in bed a little early in hopes of not having the fireworks pop and crackle outside our windows.

Miss M, as always the baby and little kid magnet, was the pied piper and busy entertaining Miss A's little friends.  She's a little more of a nervous nell however and was a little more concerned about the safety of the fireworks show.  Not that I blame the child, it did seem like we were reliving the Revolutionary War with the amount of firepower in the air.

Guess you might have figured out I'm not really a fireworks gal. In fact I'm the parent who offers to give my children a $20 bill to light on fire for the same amount of fun as a firework.  I'm really fun at a party obviously.

Miss A was having a blast, drinking pop, running around with her friends and watching the adults (and Cameron) start fires in the street. I mean fireworks!  Here is when I'll admit I have a love hate relationship with Paper Lanterns.  I was in awe of how cool they were from a distance.  Up close, they were scary.  Something about the open flame floating around low to the ground.

I think that Miss A's friend who thought it was possible the house might burn down; wasnt' too far off.  I'm glad glad we made it out of there alive!  All in all it was a great way to finish off the Independence Day celebrating and now I know what it's like to live in a warzone.

No comments: