Thursday, January 12, 2012

What a Difference a Day Makes


There is an old saying around these parts that if you don't like the weather stick around an hour and it will probably change. Really. We've been having a weird winter this year.  In fact, according to Miss A, the only thing negative about Christmas Break this year was that there was not a stitch of snow on the ground. Nada. Nothing. 

This weird weather has been the discussion everywhere I've gone; the grocery store, the gym, my kids school.  It was as if we were skipping winter this year. In fact, on Tuesday when the temperature was 54 degrees, I wrote on the kitchen chalkboard a cute little message "Spring Fever in January."  A friend of mine told me she was already thinking spring plants.

Last Thursday after school, I took Miss A to the park since it was 65 degrees out and sunny.  In January!  We got ourselves a Sonic drink and joined a number of other moms and kids running off steam at the park.  Mr C even played intramural football with some buddies after school.  It was spooky how much it seemed like March.

Then Tuesday of this week when the temperature was once again "unseasonably warm," it was off to the park again.  This time I went with both M and A to play tag along with half the neighborhood!

Sadly, I knew this was too good to be true.  Really too good.  Yesterday the wind was 50 mph, the temps dropped into the 20's and the icy snowy mix coated the streets right in time for rush hour. Winter has made a grand re-entrance.  This morning, as Miss M and sat in my warm car at the bus stop, we talked about the fact that we both knew it was too good to last, but boy was it nice.  At least that's what I think she said as the wind howled outside and the heater tried to keep the 10 below wind chill out of the car!

Gotta love the Midwest!  I wonder if that's what the Annie song "Tomorrow" is really talking about .... that snow and bitter cold are only day away!

No comments: