Friday, January 27, 2012

Got My Crafting Gene Working Again


I have been wanting a "Screen" front door decoration for months.  I've seen them in cute boutiques and coveted them for my home, but have never felt the need to spend 40 or 50 dollars on something that hangs on a door for a weeks at a time.

You know the ones I talking about; the cute Snowman, Giant Pumpkin and the adorable Heart for Valentine's Day.  Deep inside I kept thinking I could make one.  I could create my own for tons cheaper.  I guess you could say I'm a closet crafter, but often my dreams are bigger than my abilities. 

Thankfully, I had a good friend who decided to make the jump into making a Valentine's Door Hanger with me.  We figured we could commiserate together.  Can I even tell you how much fun we had on our "Crafting Day?" We are all ready thinking of the "next" project we want to make.  Who knows where this will take us!

Here are the details on the project:
1/2 yard of Red Burlap
Ribbon with wire
Wire from hardware store (to make the Hanger)
Grocery Sacks for stuffing
Craft paint and Foam Paintbrushes

The simple instructions: Take a Template of a Heart, trace on the burlap and cut out with fabric scissors.  I folded my fabric in half so I only had to cut once. Paint around the edge to make a border, paint dots on the heart and let it dry. Sew together the two pieces with embroidery floss leaving a hole to stuff.( My friend used her sewing machine to do this step) Take grocery sacks and scrunch into balls and stuff. Finish sewing.  Take wire and make a loop for hanging. Have your friend make an adorable bow as a finishing touch and then hang on your door.

D and I each made a heart for our front door and then made one to give away to a dear friend.  If I do say so myself, this was a fun and easy project that I will definitely try again.  I see a cute Easter Door Hanger in my future!

No comments: