Thursday, December 9, 2010

Where Does All My Free Time Go?

I am now about five months into my new life as a stay at home mom with no kids at home from 9 to 3. I've established a little bit of a routine, I've been cleaning closets like you wouldn't believe, I have the walls ready for painting come January (do you hear that honey!?) and I'm mostly done with Christmas shopping.

I've been cooking balanced dinners, the laundry for the most part is caught up, and the lawn never looked better (according to my neighbors!, sorry honey).

But the one thing I've yet to figure out is "Where is all this free time" that people kept telling me about? From 6:00 to 8:45 each morning it's non stop getting kids, husband and self ready for the day and then it's either pilates, yoga, BSF, mom's bible study, errands or grocery shopping. Rarley am I home with nothing to do, and normally I'm working like a mad women to get everything crossed off my "to do list" before the first group rolls in at 3:05.

From there, its non stop pick up kids at school, events, practices, church, get dinner on the table and then start the evening list of homework, more events, performances, etc.

My kids aren't even involved in that much stuff. Plus, we normally are all home for dinner together so it's not like I'm doing dinner shift shuffle or takeout madness.

There just aren't the hours of sitting around knitting, blogging, working on a book idea, or scrapbooking that I thought there would be. Maybe I'm not as organized as I thought. Maybe I've taken on too many outside "jobs." I'm not sure. I'm not bored. I'm not stressed and, for the most part, my kids and husband are well taken care of.

Last week, I spent 6 plus hours making homemade Carmel's for Teacher's Christmas Gifts. Hours that I had because of my current station in life and was willing to give, but hours that maybe had I not spent in front of the stove stirring I might have done something "big" with my life. Of course, then, I would have missed the two Hallmark Christmas Movies I was able to watch while "working."

I'm thinking that come January, I'm gonna set aside one day for just "me." A day that I don't run errands or accomplish much besides what I want to do for me and my family.

But for now, I still need to write the Christmas letter, wrap a whole bunch of gifts, and finalize some Girl Scout activities for the upcoming week. Better get busy.

No comments: