Monday, August 31, 2009

Planes, Trains and Soccer Games

Oh, what a weekend. We had so much fun this weekend that, by 6 p.m. Sunday, I had no voice. My allergies had gotten the best of me and even whispering was hard to accomplish. I shudder to think that my family enjoyed those hours of silence, but I think they actually might have.

Saturday morning was crisp and sunny so it was just right for a girls' soccer game. A is loving soccer. It's a hoot to watch. Four goals and 8 little girls running every which way. Gotta say the four goal game is a little confusing (even to the parents), but there is definitely more scoring and less time out.




A as the "Shark" in the Sharks and Minnow game during training time.




A has scored numerous goals each game and is thrilled to announce the number at the end of every game. However, her math skills can be a little questionable.

She would say that the best game thus far was Saturday as we finally had "snacks" after the game. As a added bonus, Nana came to the game and we went to Scooters afterwards for Hot Cocoa. Guess the weather people didn't get the memo that it was still August. It was somewhat chilly.

The boys headed out early in the morning for the Air Show. They spent the day seeing all sorts of planes with letters and numbers. As they would say B-17's, F-16's etc... The day was highlighted by the Blue Angels. The weather was perfect, the crowd was fun, and they found a perfect parking spot in the mass of humanity.


The Blue Angels in Flight and C beside an A-10 Warthog.




C talked to the Air Force Academy recruiters about wanting to be an Aeronautical Engineer. They gave him some cool "stuff" including the requirements for admission. His words, " Good thing I have a few years to get strong, the sit ups and push ups could kill me." We told him he could always opt for an great Engineering school, but just stay away from those with bad football teams.

Guess you could say my hubs was steering him away from Iowa State and Rice.

Sunday morning after "Pancake Sunday" at church, my kids favorite, we opted out of the lake to go to the train station and see the "Disney Christmas Carol Train." Wow!! What a movie.

The line for entry was two hours. Only regret was that I did not have a book to read while I stood in line. Good thing there was lot to see in the Train Museum as 2 hours is a long to stand when you are 5 years old, or 12 for that matter. The kids and Dad explored while I stood and came up with lists of things I'd love to do this fall around the house along with crafts and books I should read.





A glimpse at the outside line-this was the short one. 20 minutes or less for the "Sneak Peak" of the Movie. This was after the inside line of 2 plus hours.


Once we got our upclose on the train, the wait was worth it; A Christmas Carol in Digital 3D makes the streets of London, Scrooge and Tiny Tim really come to life. Our sneak peak of the movie really got us excited for the November 6th opening. We might even stand in line for tickets for the first show!!

We decided as a family to make this Christmas Season a Christmas Carol Season. We are going to read aloud the Charles Dickens book, go to the Movies as a family, and then get tickets to the Local Playhouse production of the play, too!

I'm not really a Jim Carrey fan, but when I heard him say in the promo that A Christmas Carol is a wonderful story of redemption it got me are excited to tie this movie into some family devotion time. Great story of redemption...huh kinda reminds me of the real story of Christmas and the redemption that Christ gives us.

What a great weekend.

No comments: