Sunday, August 9, 2009

Go, Go Daddio Daddio. A Bowling We Will Go.



The Scorecard (is that what it's called?) We had nick names for everyone.... I can't divulge for sake of revealing identities. Let's just say that A's name was J.... One of her little friends from the lake used to call her by the wrong name....it started with a J for over a year. Every time she would call her this name. Never the right one. For a joke, we now call A that name once in a while. She loves it!


My children have lead a shelter life. I love that they have not been exposed to a lot of the "stuff" that the world has to offer. I consider it pure joy that my kids would rather listen to KLOVE, go to a Big Daddy Weave Concert, swim in pools and lakes with most of their bodies adequately covered, and still think that the word "stupid"is the worse curse word.

I just don't think of us as snobs. But today after church and lunch, we had a fun family outing to a local bowling establishment (only later was I told that "bowling alley" was the correct term) and I realized how little of "Real Life" my kids have been exposed to.








C and M ready for some bowling fun

Guess you could say that we must lean towards upper class recreational activities while living our middle class suburban life. Golf, Swimming, Baseball, Soccer. My kids have not been introduced to games like Bowling, Table Tennis, Shuffleboard, Shirts and Skins Pickup Games of B-Ball. They have missed out!!

When "Daddio" as we called him on the bowling scorecard got a strike, M with all her enthusiasm and excitement she could muster screamed out "Dad got a hole in one!"
`
Wrong sport honey!
.
I, of course, continued with the theme that we are more of a golfing family than a bowling family when I told C not to be discouraged that his score was so low. He was not using the gutter protectors as his sisters were and it really impacted his game. I said he'd be thrilled with his low score of 30 after 7 holes/frames if this was a golf round.



A with her yellow ball. She loved this little ball, Just don't ask her to hold it for long. It's heavy people!






Shortly thereafter, we added the gutters for C too. Just to help him keep up with the girls high scores. When Daddio said that he hoped not to get whooped by a 5 year old in Bowling, I offered gutter protectors for him too. He refused!

A was having the time of her life. She doesn't put her fingers in the holes, rather she just squats down and pushes the ball. Good thing daddio was nearby to give it a little extra umph sometimes. You might say you could sign the song "When the Saints go Marching In" waiting for her ball to go down the lane. Not that I tried or anything.

Not to sound to high and mighty myself, but I choose to sit this game out. Bowling is just not my thing. At my husband's old office, they still talk about me and the company bowling outing. After 3 or 4 recent (last 10 years) games when I barely made 40 for a the day, I realize that big heavy balls and narrow lanes are too much for me. I'm not too proud to admit defeat.

It has nothing to do with a fetish over wearing someody else's shoes!!





The shoes. Love how A's are the Velcro kind. M and A could have used that too. The laces were old and tough to tie, and their mother was a little too groused out to touch them over and over again.

No comments: