Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Our Pampered Life

Our air conditioner decided yesterday to take a vacation. Granted it was 8:00 at night and the house was relatively cool at the time of it's departure, but still not the thing to do Mr. Air Conditioner when it's August in the Midwest.

I realize that this has been a relatively cool summer. In fact I've been known to complain that it is too cool for the pool or lake. However, school starts next week so I know hot days are ahead. That's how we roll around here, school is in session and the temp reaches 95 plus. We go on summer vacation and the temp is too cold for the water park to open.

Back to reality. It's getting hot in here. The windows are open, but there is no breeze. We slept great as it got down to about 62 outside, but the reality is the repairman is hours away from coming and we are not use to the sweltering in our house.

We are one of those families that goes from heating to air conditioning with no windows open ever. Our allergies are too bad to keep them open in the spring with the pollen and flowers and the fall is worse for some our noses and sinuses.

In college, I was very popular with my sorority sisters because I brought a window air conditioner into my sleeping room. I think my parents figured the cost of the unit and the extra power was cheaper than sinus infection medicine and trips to the Health Center.

Guess you could say I'm a pampered princess.

No air conditioning in August is roughing it more than Girl Scout Camping was two weeks ago in an air conditioned lodge. People, I need me some cool comfort!

So far today we've gone to Old Navy for Back to School Clothes, Sam's for Food Supplies and Lunch, and sat in our car with the air blasting. Now we are sitting in a house with the shades drawn, no lights on, and ready to watch HGTV's Design Star on our DVR.

Roughing it I tell you.

For those of you who have no air ever or grew up like my parents did sleeping on the front porch and frying eggs on the driveway, I sympathize with you. Glad I was a child of the 80's and didn't have to suffer. Oh, we did have the 70's that we had to live through with goofy clothes, hair and music.

No comments: