Thursday, August 20, 2009

Destined for Greatness Only Rain Delayed

Poor A! Her first soccer game was cancelled tonight due wet field conditions. It's been rainy this week, and this afternoon, when a downpour started around 2 p.m., I started to worry that her little heart was going to be crushed.

She's been wanting to play soccer her "whole life." Last spring, we were all ready to sign her up and realized she missed the cut off by 6 days. Born 6 days too late to qualify for the team. Come on people she's destined for greatness on the field.
.
A's cousins are all soccer stars. She's heard all about their games, their cool uniforms and of has been waiting on the sidelines for "her turn." Her siblings gave up the quest for the game long along to pursue their loves of baseball and dance (not the same child). Little A might just have soccer in her veins though.

I played soccer in high school and college and coached a team or two in my day. I was not a star as that was my brothers role. I like soccer, but it's a little too slow for me and there is too much running involved.

A's been practicing in our backyard for the past few weeks. Once we got her uniform last week, she has to practice in all the gear; uniform, socks, shin quards, cleats. Don't you know they make her go faster and kick better.
.
She's not thrilled with the color of the uniform. She was really hoping for purple, but she's decided she'll wear purple pre-wrap in her hair. You want to accessorize just right for games you know.
.
Yesterday, we were practicing in the yard and she told me with the cutest look on her face that "I can't wait to get on the field and show them how great I am at soccer, won't that be cool Mom?"
.
This afternoon, when I got the email that our game was cancelled, I dreaded telling her. I knew she was going to be crushed. All day she'd been asking how much longer till her "Game." After school pickup this afternoon, I crouched down to her level and told her I had bad news, no game toinght.

Her response; "It will just be another few days until my game, guess they have to wait to see how great I am at Soccer, huh Mom." Just a few more days A. Saturday morning, we can't wait for you to get here!!



No comments: