Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I've achieved the Century Mark (or my 100th Post)

I've known this day was coming for a few weeks. This would be my 100th post. That is the post you are suppose to come up with 100 things about yourself and list them for the world to see. My palms are sweating just thinking about it.

A 100 things to know about Jill....
  1. I'm 42 years old
  2. I love Birthdays, especially my own, especially if there is cake. White Cake. Buttercream frosting.
  3. As a child, I would plan my May birthday starting the July before. OK, maybe June.
  4. I still do this in my head today. Next year my birthday is on a Saturday.
  5. In my head, I'm still in my 30's.
  6. This comes from getting married later and not having my first child till I was almost 30
  7. By the time our youngest goes off to college.....we'll be ready for the rocking chair
  8. I had a great childhood, great parents, blessed life.
  9. Can't remember a time I didn't believe in Jesus as my savior
  10. Couldn't imagine there were people who didn't go to Church or love Jesus like us.
  11. Thought the Pastor lived in the church and that he only worked on Sundays.
  12. I was very naive when I went away to college
  13. I pray my children are too
  14. I'm still pretty naive and I like that
  15. I call it selective knowledge
  16. We went on great vacations when I was kid
  17. Skiing in Colorado, Water Sports in Minnesota, Train Trip to California, Florida, and of course the time we took our foreign exchange student from Finland to Chicago for a wedding and got lost and arrived at the wedding as they were ushering out the family.
  18. Some of my best memories are from these family vacations; especially if it included weird hotel rooms, food poisoning and pooping dogs on snowy front porches.
  19. My brother and only sibling is 5 years older than me
  20. Our best times were spent on ski slopes and in the back of station wagon fighting. Today, his family lives a block away from us and are our best memories are from our family lake cabin.
  21. He took me on my first "date" to a movie. I think it was Star Wars movie
  22. He told me never to date anyone who didn't open the car door for you. My Husband did on our first date!!
  23. My mom and I went on "coke dates" every week at the grocery store cafe or Burger King.
  24. Even when we were struggling as mom-teen daughter, I loved these moments
  25. My dad used to take us on "midnight runs" for ice cream
  26. They were normally at 9 o'clock at night
  27. He had strawberry ice cream, mom had black and white sundaes, and I had rainbow sherbet.
  28. I was lactose intolerant as a baby through my young childhood.
  29. It came back on me in my early 20's but was gone during the crucial teenage years. God must have known I'd need the calcium.
  30. As a result, I've never really like chocolate too rich and dairy filled for me.
  31. My favorite all time candy is "Chuckles" which is hard to find except for care packages from Chicago that my in laws send my way.
  32. Family traditions and rituals really do shape you; I'm trying to make them with my kids
  33. I took Piano lessons up until the time I broke my arm in 5th grade
  34. My teacher said I probably should not come back after I was healed.
  35. I was really bad
  36. I broke my arm doing a "penny drop" off the neighbors jungle gym
  37. I ran home and said I broke my arm
  38. My dad said it's fine, time for dinner, lets eat Spaghetti
  39. Broken Right Arm-Right Handed. Tears at the dinner table.
  40. Shortly thereafter off to the hospital; Broken arm; two places, huge cast
  41. I had the best grade that quarter in handwriting. My mom wrote everything
  42. I was Raggedy Ann that year for Halloween with a big cast. Cute.
  43. Guess I might have been overly dramatic in the past, thus that disbelief of injury. I've forgiven my dad. My middle child is the same way. We have a rule no blood, no bandaid.
  44. That's the only broken bone I've had...thus far.
  45. I've had stitches only once, for a cut on my hand at age 40.
  46. Don't try to get avocado pit out with a knife jabbed in - especially not when the avocado is in the palm of your hand at the time. Let's just say lots of blood. Fantastic neighbors took me to the ER in their brand new White Lexus. I prayed the whole time the towel would hold the blood.
  47. Was a brownie, junior, and cadet Girl Scout as a child. My mother was our leader. She saved the day one time when a Tornado struck our town during a meeting and she had a flashlight in her purse. Totalled house, but not the school. All Safe.
  48. Now I'm a Girl Scout Leader and my daughter is a Junior. Youngest daughter thinks she is a brownie even though she's not in school yet!! She's just been to a lot of meetings.
  49. Hate camping and the " great outdoors." We only do "lodge camping"
  50. Girl Scouting has given me lots of great memories as both a child and now as an adult. Favorite all time is wilderness survival camp when it rained for 6 of 7 days. Maybe that's why I don't like camping.
  51. High School Yearbook Editor, Active in Youth Group, Soccer Player, Candystriper
  52. Went to National Youth Conventions: Mountaintop Experiences and Cute Boys
  53. Drove a really ugly yellow Olds Cutlass Supreme in high school. Very yellow, It was given to me when my grandfather died.
  54. Drove a beautiful green Mustang in college. Given to me when my other grandfather gave up driving.
  55. Nearly totalled when a teen ran into me at a high school where I was doing a practicum.
  56. Learned to drive a stick over Christmas Break one year and then took a Honda to the U. Let's just say I was stuck a few times on hills and at stop signs. Wish I had a stick today.
  57. Changed my major in College the First Week. Started in Architecture. Why? Too Much Math.
  58. Switched to Teacher's College. Fearful of Talking in front of a Group/Kids scared me
  59. Ended up with Degree in History
  60. Not Very Marketable, but A Great Education
  61. Love Politics
  62. Worked on Governor and Senator Races; my candidates tended to loose, but I believed in the causes and candidates deeply.
  63. Personal Aide to A Governor for 18 months; Statewide Travel
  64. I've been to lots of county fairs, parades and pig roasts.
  65. My foot was run over on the 4th of July during a parade. Thankfully, my parents had come to watch and were feet away from the accident. They drove me to the hospital. No doctor at the hospital; he was at the parade. He came later on a Harley Davidson.
  66. Canvased a Neighborhood on our First Anniversary as the election was 3 days away! Thanks honey.
  67. Meeting a Sitting President (Bush 41) is Cool. Seeing President Reagan Up Close. Way Cool
  68. Was a Nanny for a family a few nights a week in college.
  69. They advertised for a "mature woman" and I applied; They were thinking older & wise, Got me instead.
  70. I don't like social settings all that much. Pretty shy. Hate Parties and Crowds. Love People. Don't ask how I did politics. It's a work thing.
  71. Cannot for the life of me remember people's names. Faces yes, names no.
  72. Meet my husband at Church Singles Group, First Date Big 8 Football Rivalry Game. Thanks Mom and Dad for the Tickets.
  73. Engaged 2 months later, married 1 year later; almost 16 years ago.
  74. He was 27 and I was 25 when we married. First Child two months shy of my 30th
  75. Lost our first baby to miscarriage at 10 weeks, 15 months later welcomed our son now 12
  76. Didn't believe we'd have a child until we brought him home from the hospital
  77. First Daughter born 3 years later brought pink into our home for the first time. Second Daughter 4.5 years later increased the pink in our house; and the barbies and the laughs.
  78. Worked for 7 yrs part time as a Christian Bookstore Manager. Love to Read. Take a Book with Me Everywhere Just In Case.
  79. Love the fact that I am home now with the kids. Always wanted to be a wife and mom.
  80. Went to Norway with my In Laws to See Their Homeland. Beautiful Country/Great Trip. Someday when our ship comes in we are going back and taking the kids. Family history and culture too important to forget.
  81. My hubby is 1st generation American. I'm a mixture. Kids are now a melting pot.
  82. My mother throws English Tea Parties for the Granddaughters to teach culture and they love it. She has a closet of dress up clothes and fancy china for the occasion.
  83. Have Never Been To Canada. Traveled to England and Germany in College with my grandmother. Been to Mexico with a friend a few times in college. Barely escaped a Mexican Prison when I smart talked the Border Crossing Guard on time. Right Kath?
  84. Would love to go on a cruise to Alaska with my husband.
  85. Loved to snow ski as a child/young adult. Married a Texan who does not like cold
  86. Would love to go skiing again and take the kids. Let hubs stay in the lodge. Maybe my brother and I will take all the kids and the spouses will sit and enjoy the fire and hot cocoa. My sister in law doesn't really want to ski either.
  87. Thinking about going to school to be a nurse once the kids are in school.
    Already have a degree in History; but I'd need to take all the science and math classes. I love to watch Medical Shows on TV and have been known to diagnosis many an illness in friends. Just call me Dr Quinn Medicine Women.
  88. Someday I want to write a Fiction Book. Need a Laptop first
  89. My hubby thinks I need to write first, then laptop oh, and learn how to use a comma!!
  90. Can't really write a fiction book sitting in my house. I need a quiet nook filled with books. Maybe an English Country Cottage too. A Girl Can Dream can't she. I would compromise with a laptop and roaring fire at lodge in Colorado. One week all to myself.
  91. I'm addicted to Diet Pepsi. Fountain variety is my favorite. Can't understand how southerners think that Diet Coke is the way to go. Yuck.
  92. I'm a list maker and scheduler. I've even been known to write things on my to do list that I've already done that day just so I can cross more things off.
  93. Spent 8 years in Bible Study Fellowship; one year as a Leader. Best Bible background ever. Now I spend my Bible study time with my favorite leader: Beth Moore and with a great group of moms from my kid's school. Getting in the word with friends is the best.
  94. Learned to knit last summer thanks to my MIL; desire to be a better knitter than I am. Have big plans for this fall and winter projects. Notice I didn't say big skills.
  95. Might learn to quilt one day. Just afraid there is too much math involved. Mom are you reading this?
  96. Started blogging a year ago after spending months reading others write. It's become my scrapbook/journal this year.
  97. I'm on a break from scrapbooking right now. Still grieving the months of pictures I lost when our computer crashed. Too hard to look at the missing months right now.
  98. Looking over my life thus far I am amazed at how blessed I've been. How abundantly God has blessed me with people who love me, grace, forgiveness and sheltered me in his arms. Always.
  99. I can't wait to see what it's store for my life and family over the course of the next 100 posts.
  100. Who knew I had a 100 things about stored in this brain; or a 100 posts for that manner. WOW!

Regular posting to resume soon. Not nearly so personal or long. I promise.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - so very interesting - many things I knew - I totally remember you being a huge birthday person : ) Makes me smile that you know what day it falls on next year! And yes, we're lucky we made it out of Mexico - thanks to you - scary - glad that was in the 80's and not now. So glad to know you better - keep posting - love you blog!

Darby said...

Loved it Jill! You made me laugh! We have A LOT in common!

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Inga said...

Sure glad I held the door for you. Just think how different my life might be!

Love Ya

Holly and Boggles - UK said...

We read your blog and are curious and feel slightly conned because the hundredth point was invalid as it referred to the title and 11 comments were about the same broken arm. :( Good read though, particularly enjoyed number 65 :)