Wednesday, August 5, 2009

WFMW: Back to School Edition/First Day Photos


My back to school idea for Works for Me Wednesday is one I stole from Family Fun Magazine a number of years ago.

I take a piece of cardboard and write on it the child's name, the grade they are entering in school, and the year. I take a few stickers from my scrapbooking supply and make the "poster" cute. Then the child holds this sign in a picture on the first day of school on our front porch.




Now, for every year I have a picture on the first day of school, a way to keep straight what year it was, and the grade they were entering.

Last year A got her first sign and it said A's First Day of Preschool 2008. We even took her picture outside the school building with this sign too. She was so excited to have her own sign!! After years of begging to hold her sister and brother's sign, it was thrilling for her.

I figure when all the kids have gone through school, I'll have an awesome photo collage with their pictures and signs.

In addition to the sign photo, we take a backpack photo every year on the same step. We take this picture with the child standing sideways so we can see their size. At the end of the year, we take the same picture and it's amazing how tall they've gotten in nine months time.

First Day Photos with Signs works for me. For other WFMW ideas check out We Are That Family.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great tip!
When our son attended traditional school I would take a first day photo too.

Mozer said...

Great idea! I always plan to do things like that but usually only do it one year--lol. We are planning on doing our school pics. next week, so a timely tip.

Becky said...

We've always done the first day of school picture, but I like your twist of holding the poster!

Susan said...

Love that! I do something similar, and I think I got the idea from Family Fun as well - great magazine :)

theprovidentwoman said...

Ahh! The first day of school.