Tuesday, November 23, 2010

College Hockey from Miss A's Perspective

Saturday Night, we hit the ice! Really, we watched college hockey players skate across the ice from the comforts of the third row of the arena. You could almost feel the rattle in your teeth when the players bounced off the railings in front of us and one of us in the crowd might have even ducked and covered when a puck went flying. Who knew they had sky high nets in front!! Obviously, not me!

When my brother offered us tickets for a local college's hockey game, we jumped at the chance to take our youngest out on a date. Both of her older siblings were off with friends hanging out at volleyball game or watching a football game on TV. Miss A was all ours.
.
Now, I will admit I'm not much a hockey fan. I don't really get the game. When P and I were dating, he told me that he had tickets for a "semi pro game" to be played at an arena in town. We'd go out for dinner first and then take in the game. All through dinner I asked questions about the game, feigning interest in what was gonna happen next (even though deep down I'd probably would have rather taken in a movie).
.
"Will there be a lot of blood" "Do you think we'll see some fighting?" "Will the arena be cold, should I bring in my gloves?"
.
With every question, he looked at me like I was clueless (but in a very loving way, we were just dating of course) and said "no" "I don't think so" "that's up to you." Rather non committal if you ask me!
.
Arriving at the arena, I asked again if he thought that the refs would be calling a lot of penalties and throwing players out of the game. Not until I walked into the arena and saw the wood floor and the basketball hoops did I realize that we were not going to a hockey game, we were going to a basketball game.
.
No wonder he'd looked at me with such doubt!!
.
Saturday night's trip to the hockey game with Miss A was very different. Miss A was cheering like crazy for the team, she was thrilled to get Nachos with spicy cheese and Sprite to wash it down with. She loved the team mascot and the floating blimp that dropped prizes during breaks.
.
P got the biggest kick out of Miss A, however, when after cheering for the team and yelling their name initials numerous times, she asked " Now who is .....?"
.
Gotta love a girl that can cheer for anybody, even if she's clueless who they are! What a sport.

No comments: