Tuesday, August 17, 2010

We Survived the First Day



We survived the first day; all four of us.
.
Mr C was quick to say it was beyond boring, but fine. Just a bunch of rules and very little "school." He has friends in every class and, as a veteran of the building, wasn't late to anything. He did however come home with a new name. I guess his real name doesn't translate well to Spanish and he had to pick a Hispanic surname. Guess I can start calling him Adolfo. His youngest sister thought he should have chosen Diego!
.
Miss M got off the bus and told me she couldn't wait to go back tomorrow. She loved it. While she doesn't know many people in her classes yet, she says she sees potential for good friends. When she saw the bright pink Locker Shelf I picked up for her, she was even more excited for day two. She did get a little lesson in how to go through the Deli Line in the Cafeteria from her older brother and feels more prepared for today. It's pepperoni day and you have to know the ropes.
.
Miss A was thrilled to see C and M at the Kindergarten Door to pick her up. She looked happy, though a touch tired, but said her first day was great. She made one friend and, while she can't remember what she looked like, she knows her name is Allie. The fact that they both had chocolate milk for lunch seems to have bonded them. I was told to pack less things in her lunch box for today. There is not much time you see. You have to rush and she hardly had time to eat anything except the sandwich. There was no time for the brownie I packed or the applesauce. Guess it needs to be quick and easy.
.
When pressed by her siblings to tell them what exactly she did all day in Kindergarten, she retorted; "I thought you guys went to Kindergarten, don't you remember?" We do know, however, that she didn't learn much yet, but she does know how to put her "stick" in the cold lunch bucket. Her favorite part of the day? Recess of course. She'll be disappointed today that it's inside recess since it's raining.
.
I survived the quiet house. I got a few chores done, mowed the lawn, wash sheets and still had time to go to Target and get home and make a snack for the hungry school kids. I'm already formulating in my mind the master list of chores I'd like to accomplish this fall; painting, redecorating, organizing closets and drawers, and tackling my scrapbook pile again. I'm thinking it will be a few weeks before I feel like this is "real" and I get into a routine.
.
Let's hope Day Two is just as successful.

No comments: