Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Back to School Shopping: God's Way of Preparing Mothers


I'm beginning to think that Back to School shopping with kids is God's way of reminding mothers that their children need to go to school.
.
Sitting on the floor of the shoe store this week, helping Miss A put on pair after pair of tennis shoes, arguing over what size, what style, why not the ones that are sparkly with no arch or heel support (my words not hers), and which oh which pair would look best on the first day of Kindergarten; I realized something.
.
Of course, Miss M was rows ahead of us in the store looking in the women's section for just the right tennis shoe. Yes, that's right she wears a 7.5 women's. I think its a conspiracy by the shoe manufacturers to get mothers to spend more money on girls shoes. She wanted "the perfect pair" with just enough jazz, not too "girlie", not too dark, not too light, but just right. Of course, her favorite pair was $89.00 on sale. Yeah right girlfriend!
.
Mr. C, having already endured shoe shopping earlier this summer, was suppose to be my helper. But much like his father, he was "urging" or I mean "directing" Miss M to choose wisely. To pick the cheaper pair. He wanted her to get the $24.00 budget pair that looked like "vomit" as eloquently spoken by Miss M.
.
See what I mean. Utter craziness. Sitting there amidst the shoes and shocks all over the floor, I realized I might be ready for a few hours away from these children. School. All day school. Just a few hours of peace.
.
In all honesty, that was just the first stop on our long list of Back to School errands and I was worried that this trend might just put their mother in the loony bin. So I did what any God fearing mother would do, I stopped and prayed that we could leave right then and there and that the shoes would somehow miraculously fit both our feet and budget and that the rest of the "errand" would be done by a Back to School Fairy.
.
Guess what? We walked out of the store with two adorable pairs of shoes; one a pink/white K Swiss with a reversible pink and plaid tongue and the other a perfect shade of aqua that matches Miss M's bedroom walls. Done! The fact that I had a 20% coupon and a half price sale on top of that was a bonus!
.
Prayers were obviously answered as I also survived trip to Target for the school supplies and Miss A's kindergarten backpack and lunchbox.
.
Shopping as a way of preparing a mothers heart for the separation makes perfect sense to me!

No comments: