Wednesday, May 12, 2010

WFMW: Participating in a Community Garden


I wanted to plant a garden in our yard this summer. I read some online articles, walked through the garden center at Lowe's, and dreamed of building garden boxes like Pioneer Women. Reality however is that spring is really crazy in our house with Band Concerts, Ball Games, and End of School events fill our calendar up weeknight and weekend which leaves very little time for tilling the ground or making a plan.

.


In addition, our backyard is also one of the neighborhood baseball/kickball/playgrounds and the kids were less than thrilled that I'd be taking away their valuable play area for planting vegetables (especially vegetables).

.

When I saw in our church bulletin that they were contemplating a Community Garden, I jumped at the chance to sign up for a plot. Our church is blessed with an abundance of land and all that was needed was some tilling (OK a little bit more than a little tilling, but thankfully I wasn't recruited to do this part) to get the garden ready for planting. This is one of many benefits of having Boy Scouts use your church. They are often willing to volunteer their time to help.

.

The plan is that each "gardener" would purchase a plot for a small fee ($20) and then plant the crops they want to grow in their own 5 x12 feet plot of land. Walkways between the beds would be maintained and a fence would go up around the outside to keep away hungry rabbits and deer. You are responsible for your own area and the only thing the church wants in return for providing the land is that we tithe 10% of our bounty to either the Food Bank or a Family in Need. I thought that this was a great idea!

.

A Master Gardener came to talk to all the interested gardeners about the best plants to use, the best way to keep out pests and animals, and the best way to make a Community Garden work. Being such a novice gardener, she gave me some great advice. Who knew that the reason you use a soaker hose on a garden or plants is that it goes right into the ground rather than staying on the leaves causing rot and disease.

.

My mom, hearing of this great idea for Fresh Produce, quickly climbed on board and we are going to share two plots. Our plan is to grow a Salsa Garden along with Zucchini and Sweet Corn and maybe even some Lettuce varieties. Growing up, I remember my mom having a garden and picking cucumbers for pickling so I can't wait for the third generation to try their hand at this. We'll have a couple different types of tomatoes, jalapenos, green peppers, onions, and other things growing in our own little piece of "the land."

.

The kids have been told they will have to help with the garden by weeding, picking, and maintaining. I'm excited about making jars of Salsa, Pickles, Pico de Gallo, and Chocolate Zucchini Bread all summer long. At the suggestion of the Master Gardener, my back deck will have the rest of things we need such as cilantro, chives and dill growing in little pots so they are easily accessible whenever I need them.

.
The plans for the Community Garden also include Work Days and Social Gatherings. We are hoping that this will not only be a means for producing good healthy food, but a way to build community within our church. We'll have certain nights that the garden will busy with people working their plots and we'll try to have a summer Watermelon Feed and Scarecrow Making Event for families. They are even thinking of turning the garden into a pumpkin patch this fall.

.


All in all, this Community Garden Idea Works for My Family because it allows me to try my hands at gardening without tearing up my yard, learning from the other gardeners, and a chance to know my fellow church members. I can't wait to come back this summer with pictures of my "harvest a plenty."

.

For more WFMW ideas go to We are THAT Family.

No comments: