Monday, May 17, 2010

Funny Things I've Heard This Week

I think my children are catching on to the fact that I'm writing their little "quips" here on the blog. In fact, Miss A told me yesterday; "Don't tell anyone I said that especially not the blog." While I probably should listen to her request, I know someday she'll look back on these words and laugh and giggle at the "funny" things she and her siblings said and did.
.
At least I hope so!
.
Yesterday, we discovered that Miss A had a little rash on her back and I called the Ask-A-Nurse Line at 8:30 pm on what they thought we should do.
.
Miss A was not happy that we were talking about her. She didn't like that we were asking about her back and was very concerned she'd need surgery or a hospital trip to solve the problem. Guess she's seen her share of "big" things and got nervous. Poor girl.
.
Anyway, the nurse suggested Benadryl for relief. So off we went to Walgreens to pick some up and Miss A wanted to come along in her Princess Pajamas and Purple Crocs.
.
She asked what were getting her. Was it a shot, medicine to take for the rest of her life, or what? I told her Benadryl. "How do you spell that?" she asked. I explained it like Ben.. a Drill.
.
"Oh, like Ben our cousin?" I said yes. "Oh like Ben who's your brother...JOOOE?" ? She then repeated this phrase a few times drawling out the JOOOE just like 18 month Ben does when asked his brother's name. It's so charming and adorable.
.
Yes Miss A, that Ben.
.
"Oh, I sure wish Ben lived in America."
.
You see Ben lives in Wisconsin, and we saw him a few weeks ago at the Family Wedding. Guess in her eyes Wisconsin/Minnesota is not America!
.
Honors' Night was this week at the Junior High School and in addition to Mr C getting his honors, my Niece was getting a Memorial Scholarship at the event. It was going to be an exciting evening.
.
Well, for everyone except Mr. C who was recognized Summa Cum Laude, Student of Distinction and about 10 other things he's participated in this year at school. You see you have to sit through all of 7th and 8th grade being acknowledged and he had to do it sitting in the front row!
.
"Next year, let's just make our own honors night at home. I'll pick up the Certificate at school and then that night you can announce my name, read off the honors, and then I'll walk down the stairs and receive the paper. Lots less time, lots more fun. What do you think, Mom?"
.
Nada.
.
Mr C made the City Finals next week for Track. I told him how proud I am of his tenacity this year by sticking it out and making it the end. "Oh Mom, we are the only 'Fat Man Relay Team' at my school and every school gets to send one team?"
.
I told him, years from now no one will know that is the reason he's going. He can just tell his kids he was in the City Finals for Track. They will be impressed.
.
"Oh, so some of your tales from High School and College are exaggerated then too?"
.
You gotta hate it when the kid gangs up on you.
.
Finally, I'll leave you with a sign we saw in a neighbor's yard that really gave us all a chuckle this week. Mr C took the photo with his cell phone after we drove around the block first to make sure no one was at home.

No comments: