Monday, January 18, 2010

Little House on the Prairie the Musical: You've Gotta See It!!



The "Girls"and I along with M's Best Friend went to see the Little House on the Prairie Musical with Melissa Gilbert playing the role of "Ma" Ingalls. It was fabulous!! We giggled and cheered and clapped. We got all dressed up and sat in fancy seats with Playbills in hand and pretended to be ladies.
.
Now, I will admit I am a huge Little House fan. I grew up watching Melissa play Laura in the TV show and read all the books cover to cover. In fact, considering I live in the middle of the Prairie, I'm thinking that we should take a Girls Weekend and go to see De Smet, South Dakota where Ma and Pa and Mary, Laura and Carrie lived.
.
The musical was a great mix of the old with the new. The musical score and songs were all new to me, but I loved them and thought they fit perfectly with the play. Favorite TV Characters like Nellie Olsen were perfectly cast in the play and were just as I remember. Miss A quickly figured out she was the "mean girl." Having Melissa Gilbert in the role of Ma was fabulous. She just made the whole thing that much more "memorable."
.
I loved the sister interaction of Mary, Laura, and Carrie. I even got all nervous when Mary started showing signs of losing her sight. Hello, I knew she went blind, but I still got shivers in my stomach for how scary it must have been.
.
What I loved the most about taking the girls to Little House was their own reactions. M wants to read all the LH books now. She and A found out that the show is on the Hallmark Channel every day and have already set the DVR for a few episodes. They loved it. They commented on Laura and how kind she was to her sisters, how hard she worked so that Mary could go to school, and how funny and spunky she was even as an adult.
.
Little House on the Prairie has so much to offer my girls. I'm excited to open this world to them.
.
I'd forgotten how wholesome and family affirming the books and television show were and how valuable lessons on hard work, determination, overcoming obstacles and family love and faith are contained within the pages.
.
Tomorrow, Miss A and I are starting the Little House in the Big Woods book. I can't wait.

No comments: