Thursday, January 7, 2010

Gratefulness in the Midst of The "Storm"

I'm choosing to be grateful today. The windchill outside is -25, the kids are home "again" for another snow day, and we are all going a little stir crazy. However, I've decided to be grateful. I'm choosing to give thanks and see the joy and happiness in the situation.

Here's Why Today, in the Midst of Winter Storm #3, I'm Grateful

1. We have a warm house to stay in, plenty of food to eat, and a clean place to lay our head tonight.

2. The windows and doors are keeping out the wind. While it whips up my "huge piles of snow" and makes my back deck look like an ice skating rink, I'm bundled up inside.
.
3. We finished part of our basement this year and the kids now have a place to go run around, watch TV, and play. Miss A has already moved her kitchen, baby dolls and Dora Tent into the area and made herself a little play zone. C has big dreams for a game table, but for now is happy to have room to practice his putting while Miss M has dreams of a chalkboard on the wall and a place to "hang out." What a blessing this is for the kids and mom too!
.
4. Tonight, the University of Texas plays in the Championship BCS Game and we plan to have a whopping good time. We've got Cowboy Calzones on the menu from Pioneer Women's Cookbook and some Queso and Chips for later. There will be hooping and hollering from the Dad in the house and the rest of us will be praying the Horns win.
.
5. I went to my favorite knitting shop this past week and I have a new project so, even though it's cold outside, my hands are staying busy and warm. It's a secret or I would share the details.
.
6. We are making some memories. Who would think that shoveling the neighbors driveways yesterday would be great times for the kids, but they loved it. It was warmer then and the snow was fluffy and white. It looked beautiful and. The fact that the neighbors thanked C and M with Baker's Chocolate Meltaways and a $5 bill was just an added bonus. It felt nice to do something to help someone else.
.
7. Someday sooner than I can imagine, "Snow Days" will have no meaning around here. The kids will all be gone and the winter hats and gloves that fill our laundry room will have found a place somewhere else like college, office buildings and homes across the country. I won't hear loud cheers when our school district calls and says they will be closed due to dangerous weather conditions. It will just be me and my husband. I'm going to remind myself about this grateful thought tonight when the phone rings again and we are off tomorrow, too!!
.
8. Finally, the spring thaw will finally come. March will be here before we know it and the 4.5 foot drift of snow on my yard will only be a memory. (Please God let this be true!) This is just a "season" a fleeting moment in time.

No comments: