Saturday, September 29, 2012

Sewing Project: Halloween Costume

Once in awhile, I have a crazy idea that I can "make" or "create" these fabulous things.  I might have mentioned that before!  It's an illness really.  This year, I determined that I could make Miss A's Halloween costume regardless of the fact that I don't own a sewing machine and that it's been more that fifteen years since I last attempted sewing.


I vividly remember my 2nd grade Halloween party.  My mother was the Room Mother and thus in charge of the classroom party. I had asked that year to be a clown and my mother had made me an adorable pok-a-dot clown outfit complete with a cute hat with a big ball on top. The best part was, that on the day of the party, my mother showed up at school wearing a matching clown outfit.  We were twins.  In the eyes of a little seven year old girl, could there be anything better?  I loved it.

Now I'm not going to be able to show up at Miss A's party wearing a matching outfit ( I actually think she'd kill me; times have changed) but I am determined that Miss A should really have a homemade costume and she  when she told me she wanted to be a clown this year I knew it was fate.

Thankfully, my mother was willing to help me make this costume. First, Miss A and I went to Hobby Lobby and found the most adorable tie die patterned fabric and the best accessories to make this clown the best ever. Then my mom and I laid out the fabric and the pattern and started cutting it out.  Next, we sewed the body.  Because Miss A is very tall, we had to adjust the pattern a little to make it fit.  My mom offered to sew the set in sleeves for me and I agreed.


Miss A looks adorable in the costume. I'm waiting until Halloween to reveal the photo of the completed costume!

No comments: