Thursday, June 10, 2010

Empty Seat


The whole family tried the Final Backpack on ... Mr.C looks the best with it on his back.
.
There has been an empty seat in the car this week as we've driven to VBS and our errands about town. Mr. C who normally occupies the front passenger seat has been away at Boy Scout Leadership Training camp all week.
I'm really missing my buddy.

Mr. C in the official Class A uniform with the Pahuk Pride Hat, Windshirt, Water Bottle and Guide.

It's funny that the seat empty in the car has bothered me so much. It's only been in the last year that he's been tall enough and weighed enough "not" to deactivate the air bag system. He loves sitting in the front seat. Until this week, I didn't realize that I love it too.

C and all his gear for the week, walking away to join the group.

When Mr. C is not in the car, I use that seat as my credenza. It holds my purse, phone, notes, schedule, a book to read, etc. In essence, it's my office on wheels. I've often sighed deeply when Mr. C wants to sit there and my stuff is piled high. I've asked him why not just sit in the middle row with Miss A. We have a mini van so it's not like we are out of seats.
.
But, I'm realizing what a special time that is when Mr. C in the navigator's seat. We talk. He talks. We laugh. I learn a lot about what is going on in his life and head. To have that open communication with a 13 year old boy I realize is precious. It's a treasure.
.
Sure I'm giving up "my space", I loose my office on wheels and the flexibility to have everything I need at arms reach. The payoff however is so much greater.
.
As a mother, I often need to sacrifice "me" and my comforts for the greater good. Too often, I grumble in my heart about having to give up so much for my children. I resent that I have to be the one to do all the work or give up my plans to accommodate their needs and schedules.
.
Having an empty seat in the van this week has given me a new perspective on those sacrifices. I've seen that by giving up just a little of my self and moving "my things" around to accommodate others allows me great blessings. Blessings like having a son who brings much joy and happiness to our lives. In whom we have great hope and in great pride for who he is on the inside and out.
.
Just remind me of that on Saturday when he brings home a load full of dirty smelly and "wet" clothes and I spend hours with the washing machine on "Sanitary" Cycle! I might need another reminder next week when my pile on the passenger seat is stacked and I pick Mr. C up from the golf course and he pushes those things aside to sit there and tell me all about his game.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi.....one of my very favorite blog. Boys are very special and some times not as easy to "reach". Girls are also great, just did not experience that. Your blog starts our morning - we so enjoy catching up on our family.
Bestemor