Monday, September 28, 2009

Pumpkin Bars and Raking Leaves Can Only Mean One Thing....

Fall is here. Just ask my allergies. The wind yesterday at our Block Party caused me to wake up this morning unable to breathe. Seriously, my nose was so blocked up I couldn't even sneeze.

Love Ya Fall.

However, I'll forgive you if you keep giving me excuses to make Pumpkin Bars, Apple Crisp(recipes to come tomorrow) and Cowboy Potato Wedges, BBQ Shredded Beef Sandwiches, and other yummy stuff. I was getting a little bored with my summer lineup of food choices so I'm welcoming the new. I'm embracing this new season as a time to try new recipes and dig out the family fall favorites.

I'm hoping that next week I might even be able to have a pot of soup on the stove all day and bask in the aromas. I've used the crock pot a few times already for some great recipes I found over on my new favorite recipe sight Tasty Kitchen. You've got to check it out. The recipes are great and the pictures make them come alive.

Tonight, I'm trying a new recipe for Moo Shu Noodles. My hubby loves Moo Shu Pork at Chinese restaurants so I thought this might make him happy. Tomorrow, we are trying the Crispy Southwest Chicken Wraps as a way to mix up our boring old taco routines. For Fall, I'm going to make Taco Tuesday in one form or another. M has dance and gets home late and the my husband has meetings for church on some Tuesday nights so I thought it would be fun to try different variations of "tacos" on that night; easy, fun and are able to be eaten in shifts.

A and P were busy last week raking up some our leaves. This is the first fall we've really had to worry about the leaves as our tree is still young and, normally, the weather takes care of the leaves. This year, we had a fungus get to our leaves and we need to make sure they are picked up as they fall; leaving none on the ground to get into the ground soil, dirt and recreate ugly leaves next spring.

Why is that when kids are willing to do the work, they are normally at an age when they add time to the project rather than skill. A was so thrilled to be using her Little Tykes Rake and being a "big helper" that she volunteered for the task and gave dad 20 kisses to thank him for the chance to "rake." Gotta love the enthusiasm.

A's school had Western Week and she was thrilled to get on a cowgirl outfit complete with horse. She was a little bummed that we did not have cowboy boots to carry off the look, but I promised as soon as we got a horse she could get boots. Not sure she fell for that idea.



Welcome Fall. Plan on staying around a long time. I'm not ready to welcome your friend Old Man Winter anytime soon!!

No comments: