Friday, September 25, 2009

Funny Things I Heard This Week

Oh the things I hear.... sounds like the beginning of a Dr. Seuss Book doesn't it? As always, my children have had me in stitches lately.

C told us we were ruining his life by not allowing him to have a cell phone. When we recommended he use our land line a few times to call people to show us why he needs the phone so bad, he declined. You see he doesn't really use the phone at all. In fact, he only answers the phone if he recognizes the number on caller id

We've told him that when he's old enough to be responsible for the phone or actually needs it because he's gone from us for long periods of time, we'll talk. I'm thinking 16.

So, when a friend called him this week to invite him to an after school football game and the conversation was short and quick, I thought I'd use it as a teaching moment. I asked what the plan was for the game. His response, "I don't know we just talked on the phone and I said sure." Yeah you'd hate to tie up the line with crucial details and stuff.

C was honored as the Student of Distinction last week and we got to have lunch with the principal. In the past, he's always said the one thing he'd really like to see change at the school is that the sandwich line needed pepperoni every day instead of just Tuesday and Thursday. We recommended that he raise a different issue this year. At the luncheon, he said his least favorite thing about school is the bus ride and the assigned seats. When he was told they could not change that, he came back with " I'd really like Pepperoni every day then!"

M cracked me up earlier this week when I told her that Papa was picking her up from school to take her to Dance Class. She replied, "I told Papa he 'did it wrong' last time, parking in the bus zone, but we've cleared that up for the future". Glad to know that M is ready for Parking Lot Detail. Funny thing is my father told me that M had set him straight too. He was now prepared for Dance Driving Duty now.

A has a Pink Princess Cell Phone that she loves to pretend to make calls and receive calls on a regular basis. It's been all over town with us and she actually does a good job of knowing where it is (See Point #1).

Lately, she's been taking it to bed with her at nighttime and making a few "last minute calls". What really made me laugh this week was when she told me she was "texting" her cousin L. I asked if maybe L would be sleeping and maybe we should text in the morning. Her response, "Oh then Isabelle the dog will text me back."

The following night and the same scenario, she was "texting" at bedtime. She asked me if I was going to "take my phone away and tell me I can't text at night?"

Seriously, she's the youngest child and we've never talked about Texting Rules. P and I are the only with cell phones and neither of us know exactly how to text though P is getting a crash course as he is mentoring a young man at church who mainly communicates via text. We really wonder where does she come up with these things?

I told my husband we might want to watch her when she enters the teen years, she's already thinking ahead of us!!

But the final and best "thing I heard this week" must go to my husband.

As you know we are divided Football House, he roots for the Horns and I root for the Huskers. On Saturday both teams had games on TV, not at the same time thankfully, so we planned to watch them both while entertaining Grandparents and having fun.

I had not really watched the NU-VT game; I'd been busy making dinner preparations and apple crisp and working on knitting. But the final few moments are always exciting. NU was winning, but not by much. The other team had the ball with just seconds to play and were right near the endzone.

We were collectively holding our breaths hoping that NU would pull out the win...when my dear Husband yelled out "throw the ball" and the VT quarterback did just that to a player in the endzone. Touchdown Virginia Tech.

I could not believe it, my husband who claims to "like" the Huskers rooting for the other team and giving them playing pointers.

He looked shocked that the QB had heard him and had thrown the ball. I was shocked that the "other team" had won!! His response to my look of horror, "It just slipped out in the excitement". He actually did seem contrite so he has been forgiven by this part of the Husker Nation.
However, I would like to say that when Texas plays OU in October and A& M in November, there might not be anything holding me back from saying "throw the ball" to the opposing team.

I'm just saying....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Emma makes it sound like she is the only 12 year old with no cell phone. And she has gotten more specific in her requests - she has stopped begging for 'any' cell phone (ie our old ones or the ones that they make that only call home or an emergency number) -she has realized she wants to text. So she now wants some 'cool' one that she could pick out. And doesn't find my suggestions to use the home phone helpful at all. She never uses the phone either. It is actually painful to hear her talk on the phone - I have to 'coach' her from the background for appropriate responses. Crazy times, but no cell phone here - yet.