Thursday, September 10, 2009

Church Sign Gets Me Thinking...

My husband went to a funeral today for a former co-worker and said that the most amazing thing was that at no time in the funeral were the words God, Heaven, or Christ ever spoken. No mention of God. No mention of the hope of Heaven. The service was conducted by a "chaplain" at a mortuary and the songs were either Country Music or Elvis tunes.

I was so sad thinking about this later in the afternoon that I couldn't shake the thought that there are too many people in my sphere of influence who could easily have/ attend a service just like this. While I spend the majority of my time with other Christians, it's not like everyone I know is going to heaven.

I told my husband that I might have wanted to get up the middle of the service and scream: "What about Jesus, What About Eternal Life" without those things, what's the point of a funeral. There can be no hope.

I know deep down that I would have just sat in my seat, but oh, I would hope that the spirit would move me to act. Guess that's why my husband left me at home.

I told him at my funeral the will be a huge gospel message, a lot of songs about God's Grace and, of course, the song "Blessed Be Thy Name" so we can evoke a few tears when they sing "He gives and takes away." You see I know that I'll be in heaven. I'll be rejoicing and more than anything, I'll want those around me to join me some day. It will be a huge party.

A Church Sign I saw today cheered me on and really got me thinking about being more an evangelist in my "circle:"

God's Word is Not Math.

You Don't Need to Add or Subtract From It!!

His Word is enough. Enough Said.

No comments: