Friday, April 16, 2010

Knitting Lesson Take Two

I had the privilege of having a one hour private lesson at one of my most favorite knitting shops last week. It was my second time having one and I can honesty say this is such a great way to "learn" more about knitting. While I know a little about knitting, just enough to do some things, I am still at the beginning of the knitting learning curve.
.
My hope was that by sitting down with a knitting "expert," I could go through all my questions, have her show me a little about patterns and yarns, and teach me a few new stitches. No stress about keeping up with others in a class or trying out a new project to learn a technique. This was just a casual sit down with the teacher and me. Whatever I wanted to learn I could.
.
It was a such a fun time. The teacher was a hip vibrant 60 year old who had lost her husband 20 years ago and decided to dedicate her life to learning "new things" and teaching others along the way. She was so kind and calm with me, answering my questions, and watching me knit as I tried new things.
.
She had such a fabulous way about her and made me feel very comfortable even when it took a little longer than it should have on a few things. What I loved most was when I explained to her that somehow I have learned two different ways of knitting. I knit Continental style, which is how my mother-in-law taught me and I purl English style which is how they showed me one day at the knitting shop.
.
We spent maybe 15 minutes trying to "reteach" me how to purl Continental style to no avail. Finally, realizing that my muscles have memorized the other way. I'm quicker, more consistent on tension, and have a greater ease when I switch it up to purl English style then trying to do Continental. We both decided, why bother trying to throw out my technique when it's working. I don't have the time or patience to relearn and it's not necessary.
.
What I did learn new is fun. It will allow me to finally make a felted purse and read the pattern without fear. I can knit two together, I can increase and decrease, and I can begin to knit on double pointed needles. All things that before last week, I had no concept and, now after a week of "practicing," I feel confident and ready to tackle in a bigger project.
.
It was fun to try new things and continue the knowledge that my mother-in-law taught me two summers ago. It inspired me to maybe tackle a few "new things" that I've been toying with in my head.
.
Next on my list: I might take up sewing again. I'm on the lookout for the book Bend the Rules Sewing. I've seen on other blogs that tried this book and taught themselves to sew. I learned as a teenager and then took it up again when my oldest was a baby, but have since set it aside for "other things" like parenting, scrapbooking, knitting etc.
.
With Miss A in school next year, maybe I'll have the time to reinvest in sewing. I can already dream up new throw pillows and fun little decorating ideas for our home.
.
Who knows what "other" new things I might try!

1 comment:

Melody said...

Small world that you learned knitting from your mother in law. I learned it from my future mother in law!