Thursday, July 11, 2013

Off the Needles: Second Graduation Blanket Finished!


My one and only nephew graduated from High School in May and, while it had been my intention to give him a blanket as a gift at the party, at least I delivered it before he actually left for college.  The reason I was two months late in finishing can be blamed on the fact that I wanted to make it as "long" as possible and since it was color blocked, I had to add another block of both colors to make it look right.  Excuses, excuses!

The Blanket is from a free pattern I found on Knitting Daily.  I expanded the pattern to make it a bit wider and used the yarn recommended at my favorite knitting shop.  I loved the feel of the yarn while knitting and think it made for a very cozy and snuggle ready blanket.  The pattern is fun and textural without having a lot of complicated stitches.

I love the combination of Black and Gold and think the pattern really shows up great in these colors.  In addition, they were the colors of my nephew's High School and College's team colors as well.  Perfect.

My next project is a Baby Blanket for a sweet little girl meaning the colors are completely different and the size is much smaller.  I think my favorite knitting is blankets these days.  It is not too complicated, is easy to transport and knit on the go, and is fun to think that someday these blankets might make bring back memories of the love that went into every stitch from their Aunt.

Graphic Afghan pattern can be found here:  http://www.knittingdaily.com/free-afghan-knitting-patterns/
I used Berroco Comfort Chunk- Bulky Weight Yarn. 

No comments: