Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Zoo Trips, Freezing Time and Facing Fears: Spring Break Begins


The big kids had Spring Break last week. Of course, we still had Preschool which resulted in a few "late" drop offs. Guess it's easier for me to have a packed morning and get people places on time then to have nothing until after 9 a.m.

All this extra time also meant that I forgot Snack Day last week at Preschool which put me on the "bad mother" list. Let's just say Miss A is so forgiving. She didn't even tell me of my indiscretion until bedtime. I, of course, could barely sleep that night. To ease my guilty conscience, we'll be trading with an April snack person to make it up and replenishing the "snack closet" in the director's office.
.
Besides my Preschool failings, we did have a wonderful break from the normal routine. The weather was less than stellar, but there were enough glimpses of spring to give us hope. We even make a trek to the Zoo for the day. For the first time in ages, we "bravely" entered the Nighttime Exhibit where it's dark and scary. If you don't believe me, just ask the kids.




Inside the "Bat Cave" in the Nocturnal Dessert Exhibit. I'm not too keen on Bats, but they are behind thick pieces of glass, and for the most part are all asleep. Let's just say I keep my eyes closed at these moments

I think this is the first time in 4 years that we've even attempted this on a Zoo Trip. Before there were always crying and gnashing of teeth about the "huge alligators" that could kill you, the "big scary bats" that are poised and ready to take a bite out our neck, and the fact that it's as "dark as black" (whatever that means.)
.
Brave we are not! But we faced our fears and except for the running in the "swamp" to escape those ferocious alligators, we had fun. Lesson of the day, it's not nearly as dark and scary as you think, and if a five year old is willing to go, it's hard for anyone to object.


Looking down the waterfall at the Floor of the Jungle, which is a close as we got!
.

However, it was the mother who was most nervous about one part of the trip. I'm not a fan of our indoor jungle. Oh sure, I love that it's 75 degrees there every day of the year, but could do without all the "humidity." However, it's the floor level of the jungle that I refuse to enter. In fact, I'll do anything to avoid it. I'll wander the top floor with steamed glasses and ooh and aah over the birds, monkeys, and foliage, but you can't convince me to go below.

Fifteen years ago, my husband and I went to the Jungle for a special evening event with our niece. She was all of two maybe and we were walking about without fear. We were clueless that hundreds of B A T S live in the jungle. Within moments they were flying about everywhere. Big Black B A T S. We quickly escaped without little L having any idea that we were scared spitless. As we fled, we warned other groups about the B A T S's. The spelling was designed to keep the little one calm. Once to "safety," we had a good laugh.

Since then, I've not gone back to the floor of the jungle willingly. I avoid it all cost. BATS are the scariest animal in my book.


Next, the five year old is trying to convince the big kids that this summer we should go on the "sky lift" over the zoo and see what the animals look like from "way up high." Of course, Mr C. being the ever conservative thinker and safety expert said that probably won't be a good idea as he might loose his lunch over the bears. Miss M, much more concerned with fashion and style, said to remind her not to wear flip flops on that day as she'd hate to lose a shoe over the giraffes.


The most memorable moment of our Zoo Trip however occurred at the Penguin Exhibit. I was watching the Zoo Keepers throw snow around the exhibit and saw a penguin slide down a "hill" when the snow got under him. Poor guy looked shocked to be in a downward spiral to the bottom of the snow mountain. I couldn't help myself and I laugh out loud.


Miss A who was sitting next to me, resting up from all the walking heard my laugh and asked "what is so funny?" I relayed the story about the snow and the free fall.


Miss A's response: "Could you Fast Back I missed that."


Yes, she wanted me to rewind real life. To go back in time so she could watch real life again. She asked me again to "fast back" time so she could see the "funny thing that happened."

I have but one thing to say, "This Girl is too used to the DVR!!"


Sorry honey, but real life doesn't have a rewind button. Oh but if it did!!

No comments: