Friday, July 24, 2009

I Just Saw the Nanny Diaries and It Spoke to Me

We joined Family Video this week. Keeping with the theme that "summer is all about movies," I decided to check out this fairly new area video store and I pleasantly surprised.

They had a huge selection of free kid movies. We could check them out for 5 days at no cost. A picked up two little movies for her afternoon rests. She takes a little portable DVD player to her room and watches while laying her head down for a little bit.

We came home with 6 movies for under 2 dollars. For the first month, all our rentals are 1/2 off and most movies are $1 for 5 days. Even their new release movies are under $3.

I picked up the Nanny Diaries. I've read the book when it first came out and had wanted to watch the movie but never got around to it; I figured this week, when P was traveling late a few nights, it would be perfect.

It's a funny movie. The story is sad, tragic and tugs at your heart adorable all at once. A young college grad takes a job as a Nanny on the Upper East Side of NYC. She is overwhelmed at first with the job and responsibility, but later she becomes the little boy's constant in his life of chaos.

The one line in the movie that really spoke to me was when the Nanny says that Grayer, the son, should be the parents greatest possession/accomplishment/treasure; not all the stuff, not the philantrophy they do, not anything else; he is their greatest legacy on earth.

It reminded me of the Bible passage Psalm 127:3: Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from Him.

Some days I need to be reminded of this...especially as summertime winds down and we are getting bored and ready for routine.

1 comment:

jenn said...

As a former nanny, this is a way hard job. I remember one time I reminded the dad that my life was just as important as his...I think he forgot. :) Glad to see that someone else is enjoying some summer movie time! I love your book shelf thing...excellent idea!