Friday, October 24, 2008

One Vote

I watched this powerful video today about the power of one vote. I know that elections/politics and this whole process of electing a President/Senator/Governor is controversial; but so are the issues at stake and we can't pretend we don't know about them or care about them.

When I was in college, I decided to run for the Student Government. I wanted to have a say in where my student fees went, how the university ran it's programs, and my interest in politics just made me want to get involved.

I did no campaigning, no buttons or stickers. I just relied on word of mouth. Just for reference, I went to big land grant university with 20 plus thousand kids. I was running to represent my "College" Arts and Sciences. I was a sophomore and while I was in College Republicans, a Sorority and active at my college church, I didn't know everyone.

Election Day arrived and I came in tied for 3rd place; top three vote getter's have a seat on the Student Government. So if one more person had voted for me I would have won.

How did we solve this problem? A toss of the coin. The heads person took a seat the tails person lost and had to try again next year. I am not a gambling person. However, on the day of the coin flip, I won! I bet my opponent to this day wishes they had talked their roommate into voting for them!!!

All this is to say that you can't underestimate the power of your vote. Pollsters and pundits can say all they want, but until everyone goes into the voting booth on November 4th this election is up in the air. No winners until then.

Please watch this video and think about the power you have to shape your future, your children's future and the future of this country. I don't mean to be so melodramatic, but it's that important this year. Don't sit on the sidelines and complain about the bozos in the media, the negativity of the campaign, or the fact that your little vote means nothing.

As one who has watched an election come down to a coin flip, trust me it matters.


1 comment:

Kim said...

I love that story! I ran for student council in the 7th grade when it was all about how much glitter your poster had.

Apparently, mine did not have enough.