Sunday, March 1, 2009

They Don't Make Them Like That Anymore: Family Movie Time


I have to confess something here. I love old Walt Disney Movies. Not the animated kind like Steamboat Willy, but the ones from the late 60's and early 70's that had real Disney actors with cheesy store lines and great laughs.

These are kind of movies you are not embarrassed to watch with your entire family and, in today's culture, there is something to be said for that.

Most of these movies were made in the years before I was born or when I was still too young to see them as new releases at the movie theater. I got to watch them when I was a little older during the Wonderful World of Disney each Sunday night on television. I remember waiting for the Disneyland Castle to show up on the screen each week and little Tinkerbell there with her magic dust.

Through this show, I was introduced to movies like the Parent Trap, Snowball Express,and of course their original Love Bug movies. It had stars like Dean Jeans, Kurt Russell and Tommy Kirk along with Haley Mills, Suzanne Pleshette and others became familiar faces. The story lines were a little predicable but the laugh lines were huge, the suspense kept you on the edge of your seats but scare the pants off of you and the characters were so lovable.

I loved the Medfield College movies like the Absent Minded Professor and the Computer Wore Tennis Shoes . I would dream about going to college just like Medfield students. Who doesn't play a round of golf with the college president and visiting dignitaries between classes?

The neighborhood kids I babysat used to grow weary of Swiss Family Robinson, but I would often bring the movie along for the night and we'd have movie night on a big blanket on in the family room with popcorn and pop. They even brought a copy of the Swiss Family Robinson to my baby shower 12 years ago before C was born. I guess they figured I'd subject my own kids to the same "torture" that they so endured.

A few years ago, a family owned video store opened close to our house and we joined up for a monthly membership. Their shelves were stocked with Disney Classics and I was able to show off some of my favorite to my own family. Movies like the Shaggy DA and That Darn Cat provided us with hours of family movie fun.

When the store closed last year, there were tears from everyone in our house. Over Christmas break, we were flipping through the Pay Per View Movie listing and were thrilled to find a section of Classic Movies with most for about $1.99. Less than a box of popcorn at the theater! Among the listings, we've found a few classic Disney Movies. So far we have watched Blackbeard's Ghost and, last night, we watched Monkeys Go Home.

The only problem I've noticed with these movies is a theme with animals. In particular, the idea of have chimpanzees as pets. A might or might not have asked when we could have a monkey come live with us. My answer might have been when dogs talk. Oh yeah, that happens a lot in Disney movies, too.
.
If you have a favorite Classic Disney Movie, let me know. We are always looking for new favorites.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I love these ideas ;) I forgot about Monkeys Go Home! Emma would love that and we can totally relate to the whole "monkey's can be pets" theory.

My Emma is begging for Umi the most lifelike baby monkey (fully dressed in baby gear and sucking a disturbing pacifier) from the Ashton-Drake collection. Nevermind this babyish monkey is $150! That girl is really monkey-crazy!

I am going to make a list and request some of these from Netflix :)

Some of our fav's are Old Yeller (although Emma now says she despises this movie, I distinctly remember them watching it over and over again) Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and all the ones you listed!