Sunday, October 3, 2010

Gotta Love Kindergarten Field Trips


Miss A and I had a fabulous Friday together. I was able to accompany her class on their first field trip of the year to the pumpkin patch. All last week, Miss A was counting down "sleeps" until the big day. She was beyond excited.
.
Yes, we've been to the pumpkin patch before, just last year with her preschool class in fact, but this was different. Astronomically different in Miss A's mind. We were gonna travel to the pumpkin patch in none other than a big yellow school bus. Mom would even get to ride along on the bus. The whole Kindergarten was going and we'd, not only get to bring home a pumpkin, but we'd get to eat lunch outside and hang out with all of her new friends.
.
Kindergarten Field Trips are really the bomb. The excitement in the classroom as we lined up, the giggles on the bus while we waited to leave, the overflowing box of sack lunches, and smiling faces were almost too much to take in. Really, can it get better than this?
.
The bus ride was AWESOME. No seat belts, three to a seat, windows that were hard to crack open, and there was lots of noise. Those kids were excited. When we arrived at our destination and saw 20 other school buses ahead of us, I knew it was gonna be a great day!
.
The weather was P E R F E C T. Not a cloud in the sky and the morning chill quickly wore off so that by the time we took our hayrack ride out to the patch for our "pick," it was probably 70 degrees . It was a little more Indian Summer than First Day of October weather in my book, but we did not complain.
.
We had so much fun watching "pig races" and the pumpkin eating dragon, riding the train and just hanging out with all her little friends. What a great group of girls and boys Miss A has in her class. Waiting in line for the hayrack ride, the girls got in a circle and starting singing their favorite kindergarten songs including all the actions. It was stinking cute. The moms all had great time chaperoning and I'm pleased to say we left the patch with the same number of kids we started with. No easy feat!
.
The bus ride back to the school was much quieter and relaxed then our ride out had been. Guess the fact that a few of the kids were asleep and the rest were just plumb wore out had a little to do with it. I had the pleasure of sitting with Miss A and Miss C, her new little friend. It was an absolute riot to listen to their conversation. At one point, I asked if Miss C had any siblings and was told yes a sister. Her name Richard. I asked again to clarify if her sister's name was really Richard. No silly, I was told that's my bus drivers name, my sister's name is Gretchen. I'm not even sure how we made this mistake, but I will say the giggles Miss A and I got from this conversation worked our core muscles for sure!
.
What a blessing it was to be able to be a part of the Kindergarten Field Trip. Not even the horriable allergies that knocked me out the rest of the weekend could damped my joy!!

No comments: