Saturday, March 6, 2010

My Brain is Mush and Soon My Hands Will Be Too....

According to my son, I should ask for a room at the Elementary School. Guess he thinks I spent a little too much time there this week. I agree with Mr. C. It was fun while it lasted, but I'm glad I'm done with Hospitality for a little while.

As such, my brain is tired and to top it off I'm teaching my Girl Scout troop how to KNIT on Monday! What am I thinking? 18 girls, ages 9-10, and me. My knowledge of knitting is just two years old and I really only know how to knit and purl, cast on, cast off, and sometimes pick up a dropped stitch. Emphasis on sometimes.

Reading patterns, picking out yarn, knit together, double pointed needles is all French to me! Really, I'm in over my head. I just want to pass on this fabulous craft to kids and get them all fired up about something they can do with their hands besides play video games.

Pray for me. We are going to learn how to knit continental style and attempt to make either a scarf or dishcloth. I'm letting them pick. My lovely knitting group donated a bunch of yarn to share with the girls. We are working with size 9 needles that each girl is going to take home and hopefully continue this new hobby.

Now I just have to cast on yarn onto 18 sets of needles by Monday at 3:30 pm.

Just so you don't think this has been a lost week, there have been some very classic conversations and events that have kept my spirits up and laughter a daily occurrence.

First,Miss A and I were talking about Kindergarten next year and how much fun she's going to have. According to her,she already knows how to read (silently to herself I guess),how to do "math, and everything else about the school. However, when she asked if Kindergarten is every day and I said yes it is, her response was, "I'll have to think about that!"

Second, Mr C had his second middle school dance after school on Friday. When I asked him if he was going, he said "of course" and took four dollars to school to buy tickets; two for him and two for a buddy in case he forgot the money. When he came home with two dollars left in his pocket, I asked why didn't his friend want to go. According to C, his friend wasn't willing to spend two dollars to embarrass himself. C of course said, "I embarrass myself everyday for free, so what's two dollars."

He had a great time at the dance. Just for grandparents, there is no such thing as dancing "with someone" at a Jr. High Dance. C says you just "get out there and dance" since the music is to fast to worry about anyone else. His mother is fine with that. If you remember, his moves might just scare off a few girls, too!

Finally, Miss M, who is normally much more serious and has a deep perspective on culture, life and everything else, had this profound statement when we picked C up from the dance yesterday. "Jeez, that girl is wearing PJ shorts to school, where is her mother ? They are even too short for pajamas. Seriously what was she thinking."

To paint the picture for you, it was 40 degrees out, the kids were going straight from class to the dance so no time to "change" in between and we saw numerous girls wearing shorts, very small skirts, and what Mr. C likes to call "Shorty McShort Shorts" that should not be allowed outside your house.

Nice to know she's listening and getting the picture of the image we want for her. You go girl!!

No comments: