Thursday, January 27, 2011

Life Lessons: Do the Work

I love winter afternoons; maybe not the lack of sunshine or the bitter cold, but the "nothingness" that results from winter afternoons. I've been busy in the afternoons doing a few things for me. Reading books, knitting, watching DVR hallmark movies, and trying to get my scrapbook under control.

It has been a week into my return to scrapbooking and I have 4 spreads to show for my efforts. Guess you could say I've had good intentions, but not busy hands.

I found this quote in a book I picked up at the library and it just fits my life so well right now. "Knitting is still trying to teach me...that things get knit faster when you actually work on them. that's why the scarf I've allegedly been knitting for two years just isn't getting any bigger, no matter how long I leave it in the basket." from Things learned from knitting by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee.

I think there is a life lesson in this passage. Things don't just happen. Projects don't get done without me first "doing" them.

The huge blanket I'm knitting needs me to put my hands around the needles first and knit row after row. Progress might be slow, but it's happening little by little.

My laundry does not magically get washed or put away in drawers without my hands. (though I often wished it did)

The groceries do not move from the trunk to my cupboard and fridge without my hands.

Dinner does not magically get made or the dishwasher emptied without me taking the first step.

My children and my husband will not know I love them if I don't show them that love with a hug, a pat on the back, or a goodnight kiss.

Words alone or good intentions aside, I have to do the work first to see the results. That's a life lesson I need to grasp ahold of today. How about you?

No comments: