Thursday, November 19, 2009

Stop Changing the Parenting Handbook: I Can't Keep Up

After 10 plus years of service I'm retiring my Ear Thermometer today in exchange for the new Temporal Artery Thermometer that our pediatrician recommended yesterday. You just swipe it over their heads and, instantaneously, you have the most accurate temp.

M had been sick the past three days with a sore throat and low grade temp. She was isolated from the family and spent countless hours in her room watching the new Nancy Drew movie over and over again. Even though she had other shows to watch, she loves to re-watch her favorites. When she was really sick at two and half, we watched the new Freaky Friday movie no less than 17 times! I can do the lines. Trust Me!

Back to reality.

We went to visit the doctor to rule out the dreaded H1N1 and found out she had a virus. The big news was that I've been taking the temperature of ear wax instead of body temp for years. I guess the ear thermometer is inaccurate and not consistent. That is why one ear is not the same temp as the other; it has more ear wax.

Sad thing is that I know this same doctor's office 10 plus years ago took the temp of my tiny babies by ear and recommended I do the same. Now the rules have changed. I don't remember getting an updated version of my "Parenting Handbook." Did you?

When C was born almost 13 years ago, babies slept on their sides. We even had the fancy Baby Propping Pillow to keep him on his side. By the time A came along seven years later, it was back sleeping and tummy time during the day.

This parenting business changes too fast. I can't keep up. Not only do I have to worry about electronic overload, fruits and veggies, and washing behind the ears; but now I have to wonder if the other tricks up my parenting sleeves are out of date in addition to the Ear Thermometer.

You won't however ever convince me that watching Disney Movies and sipping on 7Up when you are sick are out of date. While I prefer the original version of the classic movies, I do let the "new fangeled " version of the show in too. Guess that makes me modern and up to date!!

No comments: